Lorentz Transform Homework: Particle Motion Toward Origin

In summary, using the Lorentz transformations for energy and momentum, the energy E' of a particle measured by an observer in S', which moves relative to S such that the particle moves along the y' -axis, can be determined by calculating the velocity v of the S' frame and using the equation E'/c=gamma(E/c-BetaPx), where \gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}} and p_x = \gamma m v_x.
gonzoMD

Homework Statement

Suppose that a particle of mass m and energy E is moving toward the origin of a system S such that its velocity u makes an angle alpha with the y-axis (approaches origin from upper right). Using the Lorentz transformations for energy and momentum, determine the energy E' of the particle measured by an observer in S', which moves relative to S such that the particle moves along the y' -axis.

Please help, I can visualize how the problem is set up, but I don't know how to work it. Thank you.

Homework Equations

I don't know if these are relevant, but:
E^2=(mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2
p=gamma*mv
E=gamma*mc^2
Px'=gamma(Px-(Beta*E/c))
Py'=Py
Pz'=Pz
E'/c=gamma(E/c-BetaPx)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to apply the equations to the problem. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
There seems to be more information given than necessary... given the mass m and velocity u of the object, we can get its energy... but they've given that as extra... energy is E...

do they say what they want the answer in terms of?

Anyway, this is the equation you need:

E'/c=gamma(E/c-BetaPx)

once you know px... and the velocity of the S' frame, then you can plug into the above...

[tex]\vec{p} = \gamma m\vec{v}[/tex]

so

[tex]p_x = \gamma m v_x[/tex]

so use the above to calculate px for the object... [tex]\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]

then find the velocity v of the frame S'.

they say that the object should be moving along the y-axis in the S' frame... that means that u'x = 0.

using your velocity transform equations... what velocity should v be in terms of ux... so that u'x = 0

once you have that v... you can get beta = v/c... and [tex]\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex] (careful, this gamma is different from the one above used to calculate px)

then you can plug into:

E'/c=gamma(E/c-BetaPx)

and get E'.

Related to Lorentz Transform Homework: Particle Motion Toward Origin

1. What is the Lorentz Transform Homework about?

The Lorentz Transform Homework is a mathematical tool used to describe the motion of particles moving towards the origin in the special theory of relativity.

2. Why is it important to understand particle motion towards the origin?

Understanding particle motion towards the origin is important because it plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at high speeds and in the presence of strong gravitational fields. It is also important in the development of technologies such as particle accelerators and GPS systems.

3. How does the Lorentz Transform Homework work?

The Lorentz Transform Homework uses mathematical equations to describe the relationship between space and time in the special theory of relativity. It takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction on the motion of particles towards the origin.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Lorentz Transform Homework?

The Lorentz Transform Homework has many practical applications in modern physics and technology. It is used in particle physics research, nuclear energy, GPS systems, and the development of high-speed transportation such as airplanes and spacecraft.

5. How can I apply the Lorentz Transform Homework to my own research or studies?

If your research or studies involve high-speed particles or strong gravitational fields, understanding the Lorentz Transform Homework is essential. It can also be applied to various fields such as astrophysics, engineering, and cosmology. It is important to have a strong understanding of the underlying principles and equations before applying it to your own research or studies.