Lorentz-Invariance of Photons travelling parallel to each other

In summary, the conversation discusses the Lorentz-Invariance of a spatial statement involving two photons traveling parallel to each other. The relative position vector of the photons is shown to be orthogonal to the velocity and has a length of d. The conversation also mentions the representation of the photons with 4-Momentum Vectors and the need for a 4-vector to connect the two photons. The importance of showing the orthogonality of the four-momentum under a Lorentz-Transformation is also emphasized.
VVS

Homework Statement

Show the Lorentz-Invariance of the following spatial statement: Two photons are traveling parallel to each other. The relative position vector of the two photons is orthogonal to the velocity and has length d.

Homework Equations

/ The attempt at a solution[/B]
The first thing that comes to my mind is to represent the two photons with 4-Momentum Vectors.
So this is done the following way:
[itex]p_1=\hbar k=\hbar \left(\omega,k,0,0\right)[/itex]
[itex]p_2=\hbar k=\hbar \left(\omega,\alpha k,0,0\right)[/itex]
Now I need a 4-vector that connects the two photons. It is easy to see that the spatial component of that vector is just
[itex]\vec{d}=\left(0,0,d\right)[/itex]
But I am not sure what the first (time) component of that corresponding 4-vector would be?
From here on I guess it is simple. All I need to do is show that under a Lorentz-Transformation for arbitrary [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] the four-momentum of the photons is always orthogonal to the relative position vector. I might be wrong here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What you wrote is antiparallel, i.e the direction reversed.

Parallel would be multiplying by a positive factor the expression k.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
What you wrote is antiparallel, i.e the direction reversed.

Parallel would be multiplying by a positive factor the expression k.

Thanks you're right. I edited it.

Related to Lorentz-Invariance of Photons travelling parallel to each other

1. What is Lorentz-Invariance?

Lorentz-Invariance is a fundamental principle in physics that states the laws of physics should be the same for all inertial observers, regardless of their relative motion.

2. How does Lorentz-Invariance apply to photons travelling parallel to each other?

Lorentz-Invariance applies to photons travelling parallel to each other because photons are massless particles and therefore travel at the speed of light, which is a universal constant. This means that their speed and direction of travel will remain the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

3. Why is the Lorentz-Invariance of photons important?

The Lorentz-Invariance of photons is important because it is a fundamental principle of the theory of special relativity, which is a cornerstone of modern physics. It allows us to make accurate predictions about the behavior of light and other particles at high speeds and in different reference frames.

4. Can Lorentz-Invariance be violated?

There have been experiments that suggest that Lorentz-Invariance may be violated at very high energies or in certain extreme conditions. However, these results are still being studied and are not yet widely accepted. The principle of Lorentz-Invariance remains a fundamental concept in our understanding of the universe.

5. How does Lorentz-Invariance affect our understanding of the universe?

Lorentz-Invariance has played a crucial role in the development of modern physics, particularly in the theories of special and general relativity. It has also helped us understand the behavior of particles at high energies and in different reference frames. Our understanding of the universe and its fundamental laws would not be complete without the principle of Lorentz-Invariance.