Lorentz Factor / Spacecraft to Star

In summary, the star is located 4.2 light years from Earth and a spacecraft must travel at a velocity of 0.81c in order to reach it in 3.0 years. The equation used is L = (gamma)-1*L0, where L is the new length and L0 is the initial length. The units of light years can be used and do not need to be converted to meters. The final equation is v = (L0 * c) / ( (c * t)^2 + L0^2) )^0.5.
ZedCar

Homework Statement

A star is located 4.2 light years from Earth.

At what constant velocity must a spacecraft travel from Earth if it is to reach the star in 3.0 years time?

Homework Equations

I've been working on this for a couple of days, but I'm not entirely sure which equation to use.

Also, the fact that the distance is given in light years. Generally formulas require the distance input in metres (I'm in UK), so what would I input into a formula for distance? If I input 4.2 it may indicate 4.2 metres!

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
L = (gamma)-1*L0

Where L is the new length and L0 is the initial length. Solve for gamma and extract out the velocity.

The idea here is that when the traveler is moving, the distance to the star is length-contracted.

You can keep the distances in light years. If you include the units when you plug the various quantities in, you'll see the units cancel out, so it doesn't matter if you convert to meters first or not.

If I solve for v I get;

v = (L0 * c) / ( (c * t)^2 + L0^2) )^0.5

L0 = 4.2
c = 3 * 10^8
t = 3

I get an answer of v = 1.4

I'm not sure if this is correct or not? If it is correct, what is meant by 1.4? 1.4 what exactly?

I think you're just plugging the numbers in wrong. You have [tex]\frac{v}{c} = \frac{L_0}{\sqrt{(ct)^2+L_0^2}}[/tex]Note that the denominator is larger than the numerator, so v/c must be less than 1.

Now you have t=3.0 years, so ct is the distance light travels in 3.0 years, i.e., 3.0 lightyears. So you get[tex]\frac{v}{c} = \frac{4.2}{\sqrt{3.0^2+4.2^2}} = 0.81[/tex]or v=0.81c.

That's fantastic, thanks very much vela!

I actually see what I was doing wrong now.

In the denominator of the final eqn which you posted, I was inserting (3 x c)^2 where you have 3.0^2 and thus obtaining an answer of v = 1.4 due to the larger denominator.

Thanks again for your help! :smile:

Thanks for posting this thread, Zed. And thanks for the answer, vela. I was just about to review Intro Relativistic Mechanics, and this helped confirm that I'm doing it right. :D

Related to Lorentz Factor / Spacecraft to Star

1. What is the Lorentz Factor and how does it relate to spacecraft traveling to a star?

The Lorentz Factor, denoted by the symbol γ, is a value that describes the relationship between an object's velocity and its mass, as predicted by Einstein's theory of special relativity. For spacecraft traveling at extremely high speeds, the Lorentz Factor becomes significant as it accounts for the dilation of time and contraction of length along the direction of motion. This factor is important to consider when calculating the effects of space travel on a spacecraft traveling to a star.

2. How does the Lorentz Factor affect the perception of time for a spacecraft traveling to a star?

According to special relativity, the faster an object travels, the slower time passes for that object. This means that for a spacecraft traveling at a significant fraction of the speed of light, the Lorentz Factor will cause time to pass slower onboard the spacecraft compared to an observer on Earth. This effect becomes more pronounced as the spacecraft approaches the speed of light, making it crucial for accurate calculations for long-distance space travel.

3. Can the Lorentz Factor be used to explain the observed length contraction of a spacecraft traveling to a star?

Yes, the Lorentz Factor is directly related to the phenomenon of length contraction predicted by special relativity. As an object's velocity increases, its length in the direction of motion appears to decrease from the perspective of an observer at rest. This is due to the fact that the Lorentz Factor is inversely proportional to the length contraction factor, meaning that as one increases, the other decreases.

4. How does the Lorentz Factor affect the energy requirements for a spacecraft to reach a star?

The Lorentz Factor also has an effect on the energy requirements for a spacecraft to travel to a star. As the spacecraft's speed increases, its kinetic energy also increases, requiring more energy to be expended to accelerate the spacecraft to higher speeds. This is why the Lorentz Factor is an important factor to consider when planning the energy requirements for long-distance space travel.

5. Is the Lorentz Factor a constant value for all spacecraft traveling to a star?

No, the Lorentz Factor is not a constant value and varies depending on the velocity of the spacecraft. As the spacecraft's speed increases, the Lorentz Factor also increases, approaching infinity as the spacecraft reaches the speed of light. This means that the effects of the Lorentz Factor become more pronounced as the spacecraft reaches higher speeds, making it an important factor to consider for accurate calculations in space travel.