Looking to advance my knowledge

• Thread starter TheWingnut
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Knowledge
In summary, the conversation discusses ways for a high school student interested in mechanical engineering to advance their knowledge beyond the basics and prepare for college. Suggestions include studying math and physics, particularly thermodynamics and calculus, and getting hands-on experience by overhauling an old car engine. The importance of good work habits and having a machinery handbook as a reference is also mentioned.
TheWingnut
I am only in high school, but I know how engines and cars work and I understand the concept of both. I wanted to know where I could go from here to advance my knowledge on mechanical engineering past basics and more towards what I will be learning in college mech engineering classes

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
The best to prepare for college is math & physics related since engines and cars will just be a subject at the end of the course before that expect to know a lot of math.

Last edited:
Study thermodynamics would be my recommendation

Thermodynamics initially. Then IC Engine books.

I am about to enter my 2nd last year for MECH ENG TECH Adv. Diploma

Patolord is correct, math and physics

siddharth23, wouldn't that be a little advanced for a high schooler? unless you think you can handle it wingnut.

Regardless, Best of Luck

-drew

You'll study a lot of math.
So get really good at your high school algebra. Calculus is simple - it turns insoluble problems into high school algebra ones. My biggest problem with calculus was because of my sloppy work habits - I didn't keep things in neat columns so made really dumb arithmetic and algebra mistakes.
So force yourself now to form the habits of one line for every step, and neat columns.
You'll need them in first semester calculus.

Have you overhauled an old car engine yet? We learn best by doing. I was an EE but learned an awful lot about gears and bearings and linkages by (out of necessity) rebuilding my '53 Ford overdrive transmission. For a week I had to do my homework in the cafeteria because my desk was covered with planetary gears.

And get yourself a Machinery's Handbook. It is a lifelong reference for the practical details not mentioned in textbooks.

my two cents ... old jim

Jim,

That's great advice, I will surely put this into play for myself when I start into the differential calculus which starts in September.

I was once terrible at math. you might ask why I chose this program to study. I enjoy a challenge, after using math for everything, I find myself quite skilled at mathematics. Now I endeavour to learn more and more. Thermodynamics; here I come

-drew

I have attached a link to download a PDF of a handbook for your reference, but once you have the money, go purchase one for yourself. a hard copy is considered invaluable for an engineer's reference library.

http://www.filedropper.com/6mechanicalengineeringhandbookteamtolly

this is from one of those file sharing sites

another good read is any edition of the degarmo's books

Cheers kid, and best of luck

Maybe a bit advanced, yes. But if he knows a a decent bit already, he could give it a try I guess.

Related to Looking to advance my knowledge

What is the best way to advance my knowledge as a scientist?

The best way to advance your knowledge as a scientist is to continuously engage in research and experimentation in your field of study. This will allow you to gain hands-on experience and stay updated on the latest developments in your field.

Are there any specific skills or qualifications I need to advance my knowledge as a scientist?

To advance your knowledge as a scientist, it is important to have a strong educational background in your field of study, as well as excellent critical thinking skills, strong problem-solving abilities, and a passion for continuous learning.

Can attending conferences or workshops help me advance my knowledge as a scientist?

Yes, attending conferences and workshops can be a great way to advance your knowledge as a scientist. These events provide opportunities for networking with other professionals in your field, learning about the latest research and developments, and gaining new insights and perspectives.

What resources are available for scientists looking to advance their knowledge?

There are a variety of resources available for scientists looking to advance their knowledge, including professional journals, online databases, research publications, and scientific societies and organizations. Additionally, many universities and research institutions offer continuing education programs and workshops for scientists.

How important is collaboration in advancing knowledge as a scientist?

Collaboration is essential for advancing knowledge as a scientist. By working with other professionals in your field, you can share ideas, collaborate on research projects, and learn from one another's expertise and experiences. Collaboration can also lead to new discoveries and breakthroughs in your field of study.