Looking to achieve opposing mechanical forces.

In summary, the speaker is new to a forum and seeking advice on designing a piece of furniture with opposing forces, specifically a set of stairs that can either lower or raise a central platform. The goal is to have two people collaborate to prevent the platform from sinking. The speaker is considering using a pulley system to raise the platform, but is unsure how to create downward force with both a stair and the platform. They ask for suggestions and acknowledge that the design may seem strange, but they find it intriguing.
johnwabeck
Hi Everyone.

New to the forum

I am attempting to design a piece of furniture that has opposing forces. A set of opposing stairs that either lower or raise a central platform. The idea is that two people would have to collaborate together to make sure the central platform doesn't sink. Think of it as a pyramid with a flat top (this being the platform) with stairs either side. Currently I understand that a pulley system could be used to raise the platform once a stair is stepped on. But how might I achieve downward force with both a stair and the platform?

Bit weird I know. But perhaps fun to explore.

Engineering news on Phys.org
johnwabeck said:
Hi Everyone.

New to the forum

I am attempting to design a piece of furniture that has opposing forces. A set of opposing stairs that either lower or raise a central platform. The idea is that two people would have to collaborate together to make sure the central platform doesn't sink. Think of it as a pyramid with a flat top (this being the platform) with stairs either side. Currently I understand that a pulley system could be used to raise the platform once a stair is stepped on. But how might I achieve downward force with both a stair and the platform?

Bit weird I know. But perhaps fun to explore.
Welcome to PF!

Can you draw a picture of this? I'm having trouble picturing it.

Likes anorlunda and Tom.G

Related to Looking to achieve opposing mechanical forces.

1. What are opposing mechanical forces?

Opposing mechanical forces refer to two forces that are equal in magnitude but act in opposite directions. This often results in a state of equilibrium where there is no net movement or change in an object's position.

2. How can opposing mechanical forces be achieved?

Opposing mechanical forces can be achieved by using two objects or systems that exert equal and opposite forces on each other. This can be done through various mechanisms such as pulleys, levers, or magnets.

3. What is the importance of achieving opposing mechanical forces?

Opposing mechanical forces are important in maintaining stability and balance in various systems. They also play a crucial role in creating and controlling motion, as well as preventing damage or failure in structures.

4. Can opposing mechanical forces be used in everyday life?

Yes, opposing mechanical forces are commonly used in everyday life. Examples include using a see-saw, opening and closing doors, and using bicycle brakes to slow down or stop.

5. How do opposing mechanical forces relate to Newton's Third Law of Motion?

Opposing mechanical forces are a direct result of Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In other words, when two objects exert forces on each other, the equal and opposite forces they exert are opposing mechanical forces.