Looking for resources on micro and mesoscale meteorology

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's plans to take hang gliding lessons this summer and their desire to learn more about atmospheric behavior on a small scale. They mention finding some information but not enough depth and ask for suggestions. A course called "Understanding the Sky" by Dennis Pagen is recommended as a useful resource for glider pilots.
mrspeedybob
My wife got me hang gliding lessons for Christmas, which I'm going to take this summer. In preparation I'd like to learn what I can about atmospheric behavior on scales of a few meters to a few kilometers. I've found small isolated sources with tidbits of information, but nothing with any real depth or breadth.

Any suggestions?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
After looking over that course for just a couple of minutes, my first impression is that's exactly what I was looking for. :)
Thanks!

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Understanding the Sky by Dennis Pagen is aimed at glider and other sport pilots. It deals almost exclusively with small-scale micrometeorological phenomena and their impact on flight. Very useful book and probably the best treatment of the subject from an applied point of view.

There are several resources available for studying micro and mesoscale meteorology. One option is to look for textbooks or online courses specifically focused on these topics. Some universities also offer graduate programs in atmospheric sciences with a focus on these scales. Additionally, there are research papers and articles published in scientific journals that delve into the details of micro and mesoscale meteorology.

In terms of specific resources, the American Meteorological Society (AMS) has a Mesoscale Meteorology Committee that publishes reports and organizes conferences on this topic. The National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) also has a Mesoscale and Microscale Meteorology Division that conducts research and provides resources for studying these scales.

For a more hands-on approach, you can also consider reaching out to hang gliding instructors or local meteorologists who may have experience with the atmospheric behavior in the areas where you will be flying. They may be able to provide practical insights and tips based on their own experiences.

Overall, the key is to utilize a combination of resources, including textbooks, research papers, and expert knowledge, to gain a comprehensive understanding of micro and mesoscale meteorology. Good luck with your hang gliding adventures!

Related to Looking for resources on micro and mesoscale meteorology

1. What is micro and mesoscale meteorology?

Micro and mesoscale meteorology is a branch of meteorology that focuses on the study of small-scale atmospheric phenomena, typically on the order of a few kilometers or less. It involves the analysis of atmospheric processes at a local level, including the effects of topography, land use, and human activities on weather patterns.

2. What types of resources are available for studying micro and mesoscale meteorology?

There are a variety of resources available for studying micro and mesoscale meteorology, including textbooks, scientific journals, research articles, and online databases. Additionally, there are many research institutions and organizations dedicated to the study of atmospheric science that provide valuable resources and information.

3. What are some common research topics in micro and mesoscale meteorology?

Some common research topics in micro and mesoscale meteorology include atmospheric boundary layer dynamics, cloud microphysics, precipitation processes, and air pollution. Other areas of study may include severe weather events, urban heat island effects, and weather forecasting techniques for small-scale events.

4. How does micro and mesoscale meteorology differ from other branches of meteorology?

Micro and mesoscale meteorology differs from other branches of meteorology in that it focuses on smaller-scale phenomena and their interactions with the larger-scale atmospheric environment. This includes studying the physical processes and dynamics that occur in the lower atmosphere, such as convective systems and boundary layer turbulence.

5. What are some practical applications of micro and mesoscale meteorology?

The study of micro and mesoscale meteorology has many practical applications, including weather forecasting for localized events, such as thunderstorms and fog, as well as air quality monitoring and mitigation strategies. Additionally, understanding small-scale atmospheric processes can help improve the accuracy of climate models and aid in the development of sustainable urban planning and design.