Looking for method to use in final step in heat equation problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving solving a partial differential equation with non-constant coefficients. The original problem is reduced to a simpler form, but the person is unsure of how to proceed with solving it. Different methods such as Laplace transform and power series are suggested, with the latter being recommended as a more feasible option. The conversation ends with the person expressing gratitude for the help.
mimsy57

Homework Statement

The original problem is to solve u_t=u_xx+x with u(x,0)=0 and u(0,t)=0 by assuming there is a solution t^a*u(r), where r=x/t^b and a,b are constants

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a long problem, so I'm not writing everything. Following the above, I have solved for a,b etc and reduced to the following problem, which is where I am stuck:

u''+r/2u'-3/2u=r

So my question is about what methods there are to solve this since it has non-constant coefficients, and I don't think I can use Laplace since I don't know u'(0). Does anyone know any other methods I could apply?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks! I've been looking at this, and I think I must be using it incorrectly because I am ending up in the same place.

If I rearrange the negative to be in the same form as the page you referenced and look at the homogeneous equation:

y''+(1/2)xy'-3/2y=0

then using the labels from the page, a=1/2, b=0, α=β=0, and γ=-3/2

s is the root of the equation 4s^2+2as+α=4s^2+s=0, so s=-1/4.

Then plugging this into the equation form at the end of the page, I get u''-(x/2)u'-2u=0, which I still don't know how to solve. I thought this would make the u term go away...

Am I using this incorrectly, or am I making an arithmetic error somewhere?

Thanks again for the help!

Okay, thanks, I really appreciate your help. This is seeming a little advanced...we haven't gone over anything like this. Could I have made a mistake earlier on? From the fact that you found the negative error, it sounds like you did it and got the same thing. Is there some way for me to determine what the first derivative is in order to use Laplace (which we HAVE learned).

I don't think so, and also due to the r multiplying the second term you would get a derivative in the laplace domain which is not ideal. The other way to solve this is using power series

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_series_solution_of_differential_equations

You'll get two constants A_0 and A_1. One of them should be fixed by the IC at x=0; the other can probably be determined by requiring that the series converge at infinity. So you'll want to find a constant that makes the radius of convergence for that power series infinite.

Last edited:
Thanks! This looks more like what I would know how to do. I appreciate your help!

Related to Looking for method to use in final step in heat equation problem

1. What is the final step in solving a heat equation problem?

The final step in solving a heat equation problem is to use a numerical method, such as the finite difference method, to approximate the solution at various points in time and space.

2. How do I choose which numerical method to use for the final step?

The choice of numerical method for the final step depends on the specific problem at hand and the desired level of accuracy. Some commonly used methods include the Crank-Nicolson method, the implicit Euler method, and the Runge-Kutta method.

3. Can I use a different method for the final step than the one used for the rest of the problem?

Yes, it is possible to use a different numerical method for the final step than the one used for the rest of the problem. However, it is important to ensure that the two methods are compatible and will produce accurate results when combined.

4. Are there any limitations to using numerical methods in the final step of a heat equation problem?

Yes, there are some limitations to using numerical methods in the final step of a heat equation problem. These methods rely on discretizing the problem, which can introduce errors and may not accurately capture all aspects of the problem. Additionally, some methods may be more computationally intensive and time-consuming than others.

5. Can I use analytical methods instead of numerical methods in the final step?

In some cases, it may be possible to use analytical methods in the final step of a heat equation problem. However, this is typically only possible for simple, idealized problems and may not provide as accurate results as numerical methods. Additionally, analytical methods may not be feasible for more complex problems with varying boundary conditions and other factors.