Looking for feedback on physics animations

In summary: I'll definitely take your advice into account for the future.In summary, the animator used Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Flash to create the videos. He found that Adobe Flash was better suited to what he was looking to achieve and he plans to use narration in the future. He also commented on the colour change and the font size.
Matt Whibley
Hi all

I've recently begun developing short (~1 minute) physics animations and would appreciate any constructive feedback. I'm currently uploading them to my Youtube channel here.

The purpose of these animations is to work alongside existing teaching. They are not designed or equipped to teach entire concepts by themselves. My intention is to use this medium to better illustrate concepts I've struggled to illustrate clearly with just my whiteboard.

I'm still very much learning the ropes of animation, and plan to continue as long as I can find time around my teaching schedule.

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

I looked at the first one.They are very well done.

What struck me though was the lack of a speaker reading the text or a music-like background.

Are you planning to add some sort of background sounds, music or narration?

What tools did you use to make them?

jedishrfu said:
Welcome to PF!

I looked at the first one.They are very well done.

What struck me though was the lack of a speaker reading the text or a music-like background.

Are you planning to add some sort of background sounds, music or narration?

What tools did you use to make them?

Thanks jedishrfu. Adding narration is something I've been considering. My early thoughts were that it could cause somewhat of a sensory overload (like trying to read something and listen to someone talk at the same time), but I'm thinking this could probably be avoided if it was implemented right. When I get the time, I plan to trial it on some of my existing videos.

I started off using Adobe Photoshop (it has quite a handy timeline animation feature). Upon doing a bit of research however, I discovered Adobe Flash was better suited to what I was looking to achieve. I'm finding that there is quite a bit of a learning curve, but there's also plenty of support and tutorials online.

jedishrfu said:
background sounds, music or narration?
Matt Whibley said:
something I've been considering
Matter of "taste." My taste for visual aids runs to silence. Best auto seat-belt encouragement I ever saw was weekly "safety training" film on a projector that had no sound --- didn't have to listen to a lot of "preaching," but was able to watch crash-test dummies flying around in slow-motion with no distractions. That said, the pair I checked looked good, short, sweet, and to the point.

My comment here is based on the 'art' part only. And it's more a personal opinion, not a criticism.
Switch from light blue to sepia (and brownish - reddish - orangish elements), it will look much more elegant.
The lines are too thick and/or the font is too small - it looks as if you can strike a better balance.

For the nodal-antinodal animation, while it is clear how the nodal lines are drawn, it does not appear to be so for the antinodal ones. Since they happen to be 'midway' between two subsequent nodal lines, I'd animate it by showing these two lines first (fade-in, fade-out) and then the antinodal one in between them.
Also, there is a point in the animation when the caption says "these are the nodal lines" (or antinodal, I don't remember) but all lines (nodal and antinodal) are shown. Make the other lines fade when the caption is shown.

My two cents.

SredniVashtar said:
My comment here is based on the 'art' part only. And it's more a personal opinion, not a criticism.
Switch from light blue to sepia (and brownish - reddish - orangish elements), it will look much more elegant.
The lines are too thick and/or the font is too small - it looks as if you can strike a better balance.

For the nodal-antinodal animation, while it is clear how the nodal lines are drawn, it does not appear to be so for the antinodal ones. Since they happen to be 'midway' between two subsequent nodal lines, I'd animate it by showing these two lines first (fade-in, fade-out) and then the antinodal one in between them.
Also, there is a point in the animation when the caption says "these are the nodal lines" (or antinodal, I don't remember) but all lines (nodal and antinodal) are shown. Make the other lines fade when the caption is shown.

My two cents.

Interesting comment regarding the colour change. I can see how a more reddish colour would be easier on the eyes.

Thanks heaps for the feedback regarding the nodal and antinodal lines video, I can see the room for confusion.

Related to Looking for feedback on physics animations

1. How do you create physics animations?

Creating physics animations involves using computer software such as Adobe After Effects or Blender to create 2D or 3D animations that simulate real-world physics. This can include motion, forces, collisions, and other physical phenomena.

2. What types of physics animations can you create?

There are various types of physics animations that can be created, including those that demonstrate concepts such as projectile motion, gravity, and simple harmonic motion. Other types can also simulate more complex systems like fluid dynamics or electricity and magnetism.

3. How accurate are physics animations?

The accuracy of physics animations depends on how well the animator understands and applies the principles of physics. With careful attention to detail and accurate calculations, animations can be made to accurately simulate real-world physics.

4. Can physics animations be used for educational purposes?

Yes, physics animations can be a helpful tool for teaching and learning about various physics concepts in a visual and interactive way. They can be used in classrooms, online courses, and other educational settings to supplement traditional teaching methods.

5. Are there any limitations to physics animations?

Like any computer-generated animations, there are limitations to physics animations. These can include limitations in the accuracy of the simulation, as well as limitations in the software and hardware used to create and display the animations. However, with advanced technology and techniques, these limitations can be minimized.