Looking for Exciting Chemistry Experiments to Try at Home?

In summary, Tom suggests trying electrolisys of table salt with iron anode and cathode as a fun and simple experiment that can be done at home in an aqueous solution. He also mentions that this experiment can lead to creating a small fuel cell.
thomasxc
i am rather interested in chemistry, and i am about to take a college course in it in my senior year of high school. does anyone know of some cool, fun, or relatively simple experiments i can do at home?(i've already worn out the old vinegar and baking soda one.hah) thanks in advance.

-Tom

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Electrolisys of table salt with iron anode and cathode. All things can be found at home, 1 hour of fun guaranteed.

does this need to be in an aqueous solution??

Yes.

The most I ever did by experimenting with electrolisys was a small fuel cell :P.

Related to Looking for Exciting Chemistry Experiments to Try at Home?

1. What safety precautions should be taken during a chemistry experiment?

Safety is of utmost importance during any chemistry experiment. Always wear protective gear, such as goggles and gloves, and make sure to have a fire extinguisher and first aid kit nearby. Follow all instructions carefully and never mix chemicals unless directed by a teacher or experienced chemist.

2. How do I properly dispose of chemicals after an experiment?

Chemicals should never be disposed of in the sink or trash. Contact your local waste management facility for proper disposal guidelines. Many schools and organizations also have designated disposal areas for chemicals.

3. Can I substitute ingredients in a chemistry experiment?

It is not recommended to substitute ingredients in a chemistry experiment without proper knowledge and understanding of the chemicals involved. This can result in dangerous or ineffective reactions. Always follow the instructions provided.

4. What should I do if a fire breaks out during a chemistry experiment?

If a fire breaks out, immediately turn off all heat sources and evacuate the area. Use a fire extinguisher or fire blanket to put out the fire, if possible. If the fire cannot be contained, call for help and follow the emergency protocol for your location.

5. How can I prevent accidental mixtures or reactions during a chemistry experiment?

Always label and store chemicals properly and carefully read all instructions before adding any substances to a reaction. If you are unsure about a potential reaction, consult with a teacher or experienced chemist before proceeding.