Looking for a coffe table magazine / journal

In summary, the conversation is about the search for a good physics magazine or journal that goes beyond just reporting on ongoing research and delves into the mathematics and physics behind new scientific developments. The participants mention popular magazines like "New Scientist" and "Scientific American" which do not provide enough details, as well as professional journals like "Nature" and "Science" which are too advanced for non-professionals. They suggest that textbooks are a better option for in-depth understanding of physics and recommend magazines like "Computing in Science and Engineering" and "Physics Today" published by societies like IEEE and AIP. However, becoming a member of these societies may be expensive and challenging.
Leo32
Hi all,

For some time now, I've been looking for a good magazine / journal which handles physics.
Coffee table should be interpreted like in Integrals definition:

Integral said:
I have traditionally called a coffee table physics book, anything that someone can read in week, which then makes them an expert in Relativity and/or QM.

As of today, I've found some popular ones, like "new scientist", "scientific american". The issue I have with them that you never learn things from them. You only read about ongoing research, but no details.

On the other side of the spectrum, there are the journals / magazines which focus on the professional physicists, like "nature", "science". Trouble I have with them is that I need to be a professional physicist to understand anything of the articles mentioned in them.

What I'm interested in is a magazine which elaborates more on the maths / physics behind new scientific developments.

Greetz,
Leo

Physics news on Phys.org
You do realize that there is more then just a little sarcasm in the last clause of that definition? There does not exist a book which fills those requirement. You can find (e.g. Gribbin's books) which can be read in a week, which will give you a quick over view of physics. To truly be an expert requires mathematics and a great deal of time an effort.

Leo:
If you are interested in material which elucidates and elaborates on the mathematics and physical undrpinnings (like experiments) of science, there is no JOURNAL (to my knowledge) which does this.

This is commercially speaking, the province of TEXTBOOKS, so if you wish to deepen your knowledge of physics by learning the techniques and rationale behind its practice, it's a textbook you should pick up, not some journal.

Professional magazines, like "Physical Review", "Nature" and so on ASSUMES that the reader is intimately familiar with this stuff, whereas a journal like "Scientific American" is specifically aimed at the science-interested, lay public.

Indeed, the irony was understood, but being so, it was pointing in the right direction with the addition of a little humor.

Books it is then, and on line material :)

I always wonder why people are writing popular science magazines for the lay mans assuming that this very lay man has no knowledge whatsoever about mathematics...
In my experience most people interested in science do have at least a minimal mathematical background.

Thanks for reacting :)
Leo

Physics Magazine

Leo,
I feel the same need as you do and I enjoy reading the following magazines:
1. IEEE's "Computing in Science and Engineering"
2. AIP's "Physics Today"
Depending on your personal interests, you might find other societies publishing interesting magazines (e.g., SIAM, AAS, ...). The downside of my approach is that you have to become a member of the society, which is often not cheap and sometimes not trivial (e.g., IEEE). But, in my experience, it's worth the trouble.

Related to Looking for a coffe table magazine / journal

1. What is a coffee table magazine/journal?

A coffee table magazine/journal is a publication that is specifically designed to be displayed on a coffee table for guests to browse through. They often have visually appealing layouts and cover a wide range of topics, from art and design to travel and lifestyle.

2. What makes a good coffee table magazine/journal?

A good coffee table magazine/journal should have eye-catching visuals, interesting and engaging content, and a high-quality production value. It should also be a reflection of the owner's interests and taste.

3. How do I choose the right coffee table magazine/journal?

The right coffee table magazine/journal will depend on your personal interests and the overall aesthetic of your living space. Consider browsing through different publications to see which ones catch your attention and align with your interests.

4. Can I subscribe to a coffee table magazine/journal?

Yes, many coffee table magazines/journals offer subscription options where you can receive regular issues directly to your home. This is a great option for those who want to stay updated on their favorite publications.

5. What is the difference between a coffee table magazine and a traditional magazine?

The main difference between a coffee table magazine and a traditional magazine is their purpose and target audience. Coffee table magazines are meant to be displayed and enjoyed by guests, while traditional magazines are typically read by individuals for personal entertainment or information.