Look up for inspiration, down for desperation, left and right for information

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exams
Cheating also shows a lack of interest in understanding the material, which is the most important aspect of education. Furthermore, the risks of getting caught are not worth the potential payoff. At Math Help Boards, cheating is not tolerated and any proof of wrong-doing will be reported to the student's school. In summary, cheating is never justified and has serious consequences.
Math1
In exams, we look up for inspiration, down for desperation, left and right for information.

Do You agree on this??

Father: Why did you get such a low score in that exam?
Son: Absence!
Father: You were absent on the day of the exam?
Son: No but the boy who sits next to me was!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Math said:
In exams, we look up for inspiration, down for desperation, left and right for information.

Do You agree on this??

Father: Why did you get such a low score in that exam?
Son: Absence!
Father: You were absent on the day of the exam?
Son: No but the boy who sits next to me was!

I totally reject the "looking left and right for information" for the following reasons:

1. It is morally and ethically wrong. That is reason enough not to do it. The one who cheats is lying about his abilities.

2. It shows that the person doing so has a misplaced emphasis on grades, as if grades were the be-all, end-all. Grades are highly over-rated. When you interview for your first job, you might be asked about your grades (unlikely, actually). I can almost guarantee you that when you interview for any job after that, you will not be asked for your grades.

3. It shows that the person doing so has very little interest in understanding the material (see my signature). The person who really wants to understand the material has to wrestle with it himself. Understanding and being able to apply the material is the really important thing in school.

4. If the person doing so were to realize how over-bloated his evaluation of grades are, he would see that the risks of getting caught simply aren't worth the payoff. (This is a pragmatic reason and, to my mind, much weaker than my reason # 1 above).

Reasons in favor of cheating: none.

I should also comment that here at Math Help Boards, we take a very dim view of cheating. We are quite willing to take any proof of wrong-doing all the way to the student's school. MHB has zero tolerance for cheating.

That was for fun i think though...
Ackbach said:
Reasons in favor of cheating: none.

I agree on achbach

Related to Look up for inspiration, down for desperation, left and right for information

1. What does "look up for inspiration, down for desperation, left and right for information" mean?

This phrase means that when seeking inspiration, you should look towards the sky or upwards, when feeling desperate you should look downwards, and when seeking information you should look left and right to gather your surroundings.

2. Is there any scientific evidence to support this phrase?

While there may not be specific scientific studies on this exact phrase, there is evidence to suggest that certain visual cues and body language can impact our mood and mindset. For example, looking upwards can stimulate positive thoughts and feelings, while looking downwards can evoke negative emotions.

3. Can this phrase be applied to any situation?

Yes, this phrase can be applied to various situations and contexts. It can be used as a reminder to shift our perspective and mindset when faced with challenges or seeking inspiration. However, it is important to note that it may not work for everyone and individuals may have their own unique ways of finding inspiration, desperation, and information.

4. Are there any alternative ways to seek inspiration, desperation, and information?

Absolutely, this phrase is just a general suggestion and not a definitive rule. Some people may find inspiration by looking within themselves or by engaging in activities they enjoy. Desperation may be alleviated through seeking support from others or practicing mindfulness. Information can be gathered through various methods such as research, conversations, and personal experiences.

5. How can I incorporate this phrase into my daily life?

This phrase can be used as a daily reminder to be mindful of our surroundings and emotions. Whenever you feel stuck, overwhelmed, or in need of inspiration, take a moment to look up, down, left, and right to gain a new perspective and possibly find what you're looking for.