Longitudinal waves in a quartz plate

In summary, the question asks to calculate Young's modulus of quartz based on given information about the specific mass and base frequency of the quartz plate. It is possible to express the wavelength as a function of the thickness of the plate, but not the length. By finding the base wavelength and using the given frequency, the velocity can be calculated and then used to find the Young's modulus.
Karol

Homework Statement

In a quartz longitudinal waves produce peaks on the 2 sides of the plate. the base frequency is:
##f_1=\frac{2.87E5}{s}##
Where s is the thickness. calculate Young's modulus of quartz.
[itex]\rho[/itex]=specific mass=2.66[gr/cm3]

Homework Equations

[itex]\lambda[/itex]=wavelength, u=velocity [itex]\lambda=\frac{u}{f}[/itex]
E=young's modulus, [itex]u=\sqrt{\frac{E}{\rho}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to find the velocity u, but it depends on the length of the plate which i don't have. and even if i have the length, the frequency depends on the thickness. but since there is one Young modulus, since i was asked about, then there is one velocity.
If i write Young's modulus and the specific mass in their ingredients then the length cancels but then i have 3 other variables. and besides i am given [itex]\rho[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

You can express the wavelength as a function of s, the thickness of the plate.

Yes, i can express the wavelength as a function of the thickness s but not as a function of the length hence i get many velocities u hence i cannot get one young's modulus E

What length?

And you don't get many velocities. They tell you that f is the base frequency. So you can find the base wavelength corresponding to maxima on the two faces (2s). And then the velocity.

Oh, now is see what you mean, i thought of the length as the long dimension of the plate, which is unknown, i will try to solve now

Related to Longitudinal waves in a quartz plate

1. What are longitudinal waves in a quartz plate?

Longitudinal waves in a quartz plate refer to the propagation of mechanical vibrations in which the particles of the quartz material oscillate parallel to the direction of wave motion.

2. How do longitudinal waves travel through a quartz plate?

Longitudinal waves travel through a quartz plate by compressing and expanding the material in the direction of wave propagation, similar to how sound waves travel through air.

3. What is the speed of longitudinal waves in a quartz plate?

The speed of longitudinal waves in a quartz plate depends on the elastic properties of the material and can range from approximately 3000-6000 meters per second.

4. What are the applications of longitudinal waves in a quartz plate?

Longitudinal waves in a quartz plate have various applications, including in electronic devices such as quartz clocks and watches, as well as in ultrasonic medical imaging and industrial processes like cutting and welding.

5. How are longitudinal waves in a quartz plate different from transverse waves?

The main difference between longitudinal and transverse waves is the direction in which the particles of the material vibrate. In longitudinal waves, the particles move parallel to the direction of wave propagation, while in transverse waves, the particles move perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation.