Longitudinal and Transverse waves transmitting at same Veloc

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving transverse and longitudinal waves, with a picture provided for reference. The person has already completed part A and is now looking for help with part B, specifically trying to find a formula for the speed of longitudinal waves that includes mass. They suggest using an equation from a website that may help.
Buster R

Homework Statement

A picture of the problem can be found here: https://gyazo.com/a92447dcfebed53d4cbd12fc94300d9c[/B]

Homework Equations

So, I've already finished part A. For part B, I'm trying to figure out how to equate the two with mass on either side of the equation so that I can solve for it.

The Attempt at a Solution

Transverse wave speed = SQRT(tension/u), substitute (p*pi*d2 / 4)for mu since I don't have it -> V = SQRT(4T/p*pi*d2) where T is tension and p is rho.

Now I need to find a formula for speed of longitudinal wave that includes mass so that I can equate the two velocity formulas and solve for mass.

Any advice is much appreciated!
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
All you need to do is get the equation for the speed of a longitudinal wave in solids. I think this http://mysite.du.edu/~jcalvert/waves/mechwave.htm may help :).

Related to Longitudinal and Transverse waves transmitting at same Veloc

1. What is the difference between longitudinal and transverse waves?

Longitudinal waves transmit energy in the same direction as the wave is moving, while transverse waves transmit energy perpendicular to the direction of the wave.

2. Can longitudinal and transverse waves travel at the same velocity?

Yes, both types of waves can travel at the same velocity, as the velocity of a wave is determined by the properties of the medium it is traveling through, not the type of wave.

3. How do longitudinal and transverse waves differ in terms of their oscillation?

Longitudinal waves have oscillations in the same direction as the wave is moving, while transverse waves have oscillations perpendicular to the direction of the wave.

4. What are some examples of longitudinal and transverse waves?

Longitudinal waves include sound waves and seismic waves, while transverse waves include light waves, water waves, and electromagnetic waves.

5. How are longitudinal and transverse waves used in everyday life?

Longitudinal waves are used in communication technologies like telephones and radios, while transverse waves are used in technologies like television, computers, and cell phones.