Logging Out Glitch: Is This Normal?

• Thread starter jostpuur
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around a bug where the "online" text was displayed next to a user's username even when they were logged out. The cause of the bug was unclear, but it seemed to happen randomly and could not be reproduced consistently. Clearing the browser's cache was suggested as a solution, but it did not always work. Another user also mentioned a separate issue where they were still logged in after logging out.
jostpuur
I just logged out, and when I watched the thread into which I had been posting, I saw the orange "online" text after my username. I was logged out though, in a sense that there wasn't "My PF" ... "Log out" links in the top bar.

This is some bug, that manifests itself at some unpredictable occasions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what "cached" means (I'm not internet guru), but I did press reload/refresh button of my firefox, and the online text wasn't disappearing. I could swear that I saw the online text, and the My PF and Log Out links missing, at the same time, but I didn't take a screenshot of that. I was planning logging in and posting that I would take a screenshot next time I see this, and I saw this:

http://hoasnet-fe11dd00-244.dhcp.inet.fi:1132/Screenshot-2.png

I'm logged in, and it says offline after my username. I'm not sure if that is serious though... perhaps the online text just appeared with some delay?

Last edited by a moderator:
Clearing your cache should solve the problem (tools>clear private data in firefox)

I encountered this again, and clicking Tools -> Clear Private Data and reload/refresh didn't change it. I was seeing this:

http://hoasnet-fe11dd00-244.dhcp.inet.fi:1132/Screenshot-3.png

I'm not logged in, but my username is online. I've never been able to reproduce the effect though, so I don't know when precisely this happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have another problem! I log out but when I come back, I see I'm still loged in! :rolleyes:

Related to Logging Out Glitch: Is This Normal?

What is the "Logging Out Glitch"?

The "Logging Out Glitch" is a term used to describe an issue where a user is automatically logged out of their account on a website or app without any action on their part.

Why does the "Logging Out Glitch" occur?

The "Logging Out Glitch" can occur for a variety of reasons, such as a technical error, a bug in the system, or a security measure to protect the user's account.

Is the "Logging Out Glitch" a common occurrence?

Yes, the "Logging Out Glitch" is a common issue reported by users on a variety of websites and apps. However, the frequency may vary depending on the platform and its technical capabilities.

Does the "Logging Out Glitch" pose a security risk?

In most cases, the "Logging Out Glitch" does not pose a security risk as it usually occurs due to technical errors. However, it is always advisable to change your password and monitor your account for any unusual activity if you experience this glitch.

How can I prevent the "Logging Out Glitch" from happening?

Unfortunately, there is no foolproof way to prevent the "Logging Out Glitch" from happening. However, you can try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, updating your app or website, and using a strong and unique password to reduce the chances of this glitch occurring.