Logarithmic p-Series: MathCad Findings

• Thread starter notknowing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithmic
In summary, the logarithmic p-series given by [tex]\sum_{n=2}^n \frac{1}{n \ ln(n)^p } [\tex] and should converge when p>1 and diverge when [tex]p \leq 1 [\tex] are conflicting statements. The corresponding integral always converges for p=0.6, but does not always converge on MathCad.
notknowing

Homework Statement

According to textbooks, the logarithmic p-series given by
[tex]\sum_{n=2}^n \frac{1}{n \ ln(n)^p } [\tex] and should converge when p>1 and diverge when [tex]p \leq 1 [\tex]

Homework Equations

Using MathCad (version 11 to 14), I find that the corresponding integral
[tex]int_{2}^{infty} \frac {1}{x \ {ln(x)}^p} dx [\tex] always converges. For instance, for p=0.6, I find that the integral becomes 49.916 (instead of diverging)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have never before encountered a problem with MathCad, so this discrepancy is really surprising. I'm just curious about reactions or observations of similar problems with MathCad.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't use MatCad, however the numerical answer you provide me implies that MathCad integrates numerically (as opposed to symbolically, like Mathematicia). It may happen that MathCad is using a numerical integration technique that isn't effective over infinite regions of integration.

Perhaps we could try an experiment? On MathCad, please integrate 1/x between 1 and infinity, I wouldn't be overly surprised if it gave some finite answer. Both integrands in question, 1/x and the p integral, may appear to have a finite integral, they do have some properties required, such as terms approaching zero.

To see why your corresponding integral actually doesn't always converge, use the fundamental theorem of calculus after a substitution.

Gib Z said:
I don't use MatCad, however the numerical answer you provide me implies that MathCad integrates numerically (as opposed to symbolically, like Mathematicia). It may happen that MathCad is using a numerical integration technique that isn't effective over infinite regions of integration.

Perhaps we could try an experiment? On MathCad, please integrate 1/x between 1 and infinity, I wouldn't be overly surprised if it gave some finite answer. Both integrands in question, 1/x and the p integral, may appear to have a finite integral, they do have some properties required, such as terms approaching zero.

To see why your corresponding integral actually doesn't always converge, use the fundamental theorem of calculus after a substitution.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I tried the integral you mentioned but this resulted in no answer (not convergent).

Why does showing that it is not convergent mean there is no answer?

Related to Logarithmic p-Series: MathCad Findings

1. What is a logarithmic p-series?

A logarithmic p-series is a mathematical series in which each term is the reciprocal of a natural logarithm raised to a power. It is written as Σ(1/ln^p(n)), where n represents the index of the term and p is a constant.

2. How is the sum of a logarithmic p-series calculated?

The sum of a logarithmic p-series is calculated using the formula Σ(1/ln^p(n)) = (1/ln^p(1)) + (1/ln^p(2)) + (1/ln^p(3)) + ... + (1/ln^p(n)). This formula can be solved using a computer program or by hand using mathematical tables or a calculator.

3. What are some real-world applications of logarithmic p-series?

Logarithmic p-series are commonly used in physics and engineering to model phenomena such as electrical circuits, fluid flow, and population growth. They are also used in finance and economics to model compound interest and other exponential growth processes.

4. How does the value of p affect the convergence of a logarithmic p-series?

The value of p determines whether a logarithmic p-series converges or diverges. If p is greater than 1, the series converges, while if p is less than or equal to 1, the series diverges. This can be proven using the integral test or the comparison test.

5. Can logarithmic p-series be used to approximate other types of series?

Yes, logarithmic p-series can be used to approximate other types of series, such as geometric series and harmonic series. This is because the terms in a logarithmic p-series decrease in value rapidly, making it a useful tool for approximating divergent series.