Logarithmic Integral on Stack Exchange - author unknown

In summary, the conversation discusses an alternative solution to solving the integral \int_0^1\frac{\log(1+x)\log(1-x)}{(1+x)}\,dx, using parametric cases and substitutions. The solution involves Polylogarithms and closed forms involving double and possibly triple sums. The conversation also includes some friendly banter between the participants.
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Consider the generalized parametric case where \(\displaystyle 0 < z \le 1\):\(\displaystyle \mathcal{I}(z)=\int_0^z\frac{\log(1+x)\log(1-x)}{(1+x)}\,dx\)Substitute \(\displaystyle y=1+x\) to obtain:\(\displaystyle \int_1^{1+z}\frac{\log y\log[1-(y-1)]}{y}\,dy=\int_1^{1+z}\frac{\log y\log(2-y)}{y}\,dy=\)\(\displaystyle \int_1^{1+z}\frac{\log y\log\left[2 \left(1-\frac{y}{2} \right) \right]}{y}\,dy=\)\(\displaystyle \log 2\, \int_1^{1+z}\frac{\log y}{y}\,dy+\int_1^{1+z}\frac{\log y\log\left( 1- \frac{y}{2} \right)}{y}\,dy\)Performing an integration by parts on that first integral gives:\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\log 2\, (\log y)^2\, \Bigg|_1^{1+z}=\frac{1}{2}\log 2\log^2(1+z)\)So\(\displaystyle \mathcal{I}(z)=\frac{1}{2}\log 2\log^2(1+z)+\int_1^{1+z}\frac{\log y\log\left( 1- \frac{y}{2} \right)}{y}\,dy\)Next, we split that last integral into two:\(\displaystyle \int_1^{1+z}\frac{\log y\log\left( 1- \frac{y}{2} \right)}{y}\,dy=
\int_0^{1+z}\frac{\log y\log\left( 1- \frac{y}{2} \right)}{y}\,dy-\int_0^1\frac{\log y\log\left( 1- \frac{y}{2} \right)}{y}\,dy\)For \(\displaystyle 0 < z \le 1\), Polylogarithms of order \(\displaystyle m \ge 1\) have the integral representation:\(\displaystyle \text{Li}_m(z)=\frac{(-1)^{m-1}}{(m-2)!}\int_0^1\frac{(\log x)^{m-2}\log(1-zx)}{x}\,dx\)Hence\(\displaystyle \int_0^1\frac{\log y\log\left( 1- \frac{y}{2} \right)}{y}\,dy=\text{Li}_3\left( \tfrac{1}{2}\right) \)So\(\displaystyle \mathcal{I}(z)=\frac{1}{2}\log 2\log^2(1+z)-\text{Li}_3\left( \tfrac{1}{2}\right) +\int_0^{1+z}\frac{\log y\log\left( 1- \frac{y}{2} \right)}{y}\,dy\)For that final integral, apply the substitution \(\displaystyle y=(1+z)\, x\) to change it into:\(\displaystyle \int_0^1\frac{\log[(1+z)\, x]\, \log\left(1-\frac{(1+z)}{2}\, x \right)}{x}\,dx=\)\(\displaystyle \log(1+z)\, \int_0^1\frac{\log\left(1-\frac{(1+z)}{2}\, x \right)}{x}\,dx+\int_0^1\frac{\log x\, \log\left(1-\frac{(1+z)}{2}\, x \right)}{x}\,dx\)By the integral representation for arbitrary (non-zero) order Polylogs given above, this equates to:\(\displaystyle -\log(1+z) \, \text{Li}_2\left(\frac{1+z}{2}\right)+ \text{Li}_3 \left(\frac{1+z}{2}\right)\)
------------------------------
General parametric solution:

\(\displaystyle \int_0^z\frac{\log(1+x)\log(1-x)}{(1+x)}\,dx=\)\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\log 2\log^2(1+z)-\text{Li}_3\left( \tfrac{1}{2}\right) - \log(1+z) \, \text{Li}_2\left(\frac{1+z}{2}\right)+ \text{Li}_3 \left(\frac{1+z}{2}\right)\)For \(\displaystyle \, \, 0 < z \le 1\)

Nice solution . I always consider differentiating the hypergeometric function to be an alternative solution even though not easy .

ZaidAlyafey said:
Nice solution . I always consider differentiating the hypergeometric function to be an alternative solution even though not easy .
Thanks Zaid! (Sun)

It can get a bit - erm - 'hairy' when your dealing with higher order integrals of the type above, but all integrals of the form \(\displaystyle \int_0^z\frac{\log^m(1+x)\log(1-x)}{(1+x)},dx\)and \(\displaystyle \int_0^z\frac{\log^m(1-x)\log(1+x)}{(1-x)},dx\)can be done in the same way. The closed form involves some pretty annoying (finite!) double sums (possibly a triple sum too)... I'll add this onto the Logarithmic Integrals thread at some point (soon). It's been "in the post" for a while... ;)

Last edited:
That seems interesting , I'll be waiting to see that .

DreamWeaver said:
Thanks Zaid! (Sun)

It can get a bit - erm - 'hairy' when your dealing with higher order integrals of the type above, but all integrals of the form \(\displaystyle \int_0^z\frac{\log^m(1+x)\log(1-x)}{(1+x)},dx\)and \(\displaystyle \int_0^z\frac{\log^m(1-x)\log(1+x)}{(1-x)},dx\)can be done in the same way. The closed form involves some pretty annoying (finite!) double sums (possibly a triple sum too)... I'll add this onto the Logarithmic Integrals thread at some point (soon). It's been "in the post" for a while... ;)

ZaidAlyafey said:
That seems interesting , I'll be waiting to see that .

Hi DreamWeaver,

I see it now that you have got a fan, congrats! (Sun)And I envy you!:p

Related to Logarithmic Integral on Stack Exchange - author unknown

1. What is the logarithmic integral function?

The logarithmic integral function, denoted as Li(x), is a special function in mathematics that is defined as the integral of the reciprocal of the natural logarithm function from 2 to x. In other words, it is the area under the curve of 1/ln(t) from t=2 to t=x.

2. What is the significance of the logarithmic integral function?

The logarithmic integral function has many applications in mathematics, particularly in number theory and analytic number theory. It is also used in the study of prime numbers, as it is closely related to the prime counting function. Additionally, it has connections to the Riemann zeta function and the distribution of prime numbers.

3. How is the logarithmic integral function calculated?

The logarithmic integral function cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions, so it is typically calculated using numerical methods or approximations. There are also several special algorithms and series expansions that can be used to calculate the function to a certain degree of accuracy.

4. What is the domain and range of the logarithmic integral function?

The domain of the logarithmic integral function is all real numbers greater than or equal to 2. Its range is also all real numbers, but it increases very slowly as x gets larger. For example, Li(10) is approximately 5.184, while Li(100) is approximately 21.714.

5. Can the logarithmic integral function be generalized?

Yes, the logarithmic integral function can be generalized to complex numbers, resulting in the complex logarithmic integral function. It can also be extended to higher dimensions, where it is known as the polylogarithmic integral function. There are also other variations and generalizations of the logarithmic integral function in different areas of mathematics.