Logarithm Derivative: Solving y = log base 3 e^2x with Homework Equations

In summary, the derivative of y = log base 3 e^2x is 2/ln3, which can be simplified from 2log3e using the properties of logarithms.
Jan Hill

Homework Statement

y = log base 3 e^2x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got y' = 2e^2x divided by e^2xln3

is this right?
Sorry for the pathetic way of presenting this. I haven't been able to use the lancet program for proper ways to write mathematical stuff

Physics news on Phys.org
Jan Hill said:

Homework Statement

y = log base 3 e^2x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got y' = 2e^2x divided by e^2xln3

is this right?
Sorry for the pathetic way of presenting this. I haven't been able to use the lancet program for proper ways to write mathematical stuff
So are you saying you got

[tex]y' = \frac{2e^{2x}}{e^{2x}\log 3} = \frac{2}{\log 3}[/tex]

If so, that's not correct. Show us your work so we can see where you're going astray.

the derivative of e^2x is itself, e^2x and then this is multiplied by 2.

so that part is 2e^2x

and the derivative of any non ln logarithm is 1/ln of the base which gives me 1/ln3

maybe the answer should be 2e^2x/ln3 ?

I'm sorry! You had it right the first time. (For some reason, I kept thinking there should be an x floating around.) The only thing is you could have simplified your answer to get rid of the exponentials.

This can be done in a much simpler way, using the properties of logarithms.

y = log3 e2x = 2x * log3 e
==> y' = 2 * log3 e

Related to Logarithm Derivative: Solving y = log base 3 e^2x with Homework Equations

What is a logarithm derivative?

A logarithm derivative is a mathematical concept used to find the rate of change of a logarithmic function. It is denoted as dy/dx and is the inverse of the natural logarithm function.

How do you solve for y in y = log base 3 e^2x?

To solve for y in this equation, you can use the property that log base a b = log base c b / log base c a. In this case, we can write the equation as y = (ln e^2x) / (ln 3) = 2x / (ln 3). This can also be written as y = 2x / ln 3.

What are the homework equations for solving logarithm derivatives?

The homework equations for solving logarithm derivatives include the chain rule, product rule, quotient rule, and power rule. These are used to find the derivative of a logarithmic function, just like in other types of derivative problems.

How do you use the chain rule to solve logarithm derivatives?

The chain rule can be used to solve logarithm derivatives by first rewriting the function as a composite function. Then, you can apply the chain rule, which states that the derivative of f(g(x)) = f'(g(x)) * g'(x). In the case of logarithmic functions, the inner function g(x) will be the argument of the logarithm, and the outer function f(x) will be the logarithm itself.

What is the solution to y = log base 3 e^2x?

The solution to this equation is y = 2x / ln 3. This can also be written as y = log base 3 e^2x = 2x / ln 3. Alternatively, you can also write it in exponential form as e^y = 3^(2x), where y = 2x / ln 3.