Log-Likelihood ratio in the context of natural language processing

In summary: It is the ratio of the probability of observing a certain event, given the evidence, to the probability of observing that event if we knew nothing about the evidence.
starcoast
First of all, let me apologize if this question is in the wrong place. It's fundamentally a statistics question but it relates to computer science. I'm also not sure if this falls under the "homework" category, since it's for a class, but I need assistance on a general idea, not a problem set. Anyway:

I am implementing some unsupervised methods of content-selection/extraction based document summarization and I'm confused about what my textbook calls the "log-likelihood ratio". The book briefly describes it as such:

"The LLR for a word, generally called lambda(w), is the ratio between the probability of observing w in both the input and in the background corpus assuming equal probabilities in both corpora, and the probability of observing w in both assuming different probabilities for w in the input and the background corpus."

Breaking that down, we have the numerator: "the probability of observing w in both the input and in the background corpus assuming equal probabilities in both corpora" - How do I calculate what probability to use here?

and the denominator: "the probability of observing w in both assuming different probabilities for w in the input and the background corpus". - is this as simple as the probability of the word occurring in the input times the probability of the word occurring in the corpus? ex:

(count(word,input) / total words in input) * (count(word,corpus) / total words in corpus)

I've been looking over a paper my book references, Accurate Methods for the Statistics of Surprise and Coincidence (Dunning 1993), but I'm finding it difficult to relate to the problem of calculating LLR values for individual words in extraction based summarization. Any clarification here would be really appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know the conventions used in document analysis and the passage you quoted isn't well written, so I can only guess at what is meant. My guess is that "the probability of observing w in both the input and in the background corpus assuming equal probabilities in both corpora" involves estimating "the probability that a randomly chosen word is w" by taking the ratio: ( total occurrences of w in input + total occurences of w in background corpus)/ (total words in input + total words in background corpus). My guess for the denominator would be the same as yours.

One problem with the quoted passage is that "the probability of observing w" depends on the sampling procedure. I am assuming that procedure is "pick one random word from a uniform probability distribution over all the words".

Another problem is that the topic is the "log" likelihood ratio, but the passage doesn't mention taking the logarithm of the ratio.

Log likelihood ratio is a concept from Bayesian statistics. It is used quite frequently in Bayesian analyses.

Related to Log-Likelihood ratio in the context of natural language processing

1. What is a Log-Likelihood ratio in the context of natural language processing?

A Log-Likelihood ratio is a statistical measure used in natural language processing to determine the likelihood of a particular word or phrase occurring in a given context or language model. It compares the observed frequency of a word or phrase with the expected frequency, taking into account the overall language model or corpus. A higher Log-Likelihood ratio indicates a stronger association between the word or phrase and the context, suggesting that it is more significant or informative.

2. How is the Log-Likelihood ratio calculated?

The Log-Likelihood ratio is calculated by taking the logarithm of the observed frequency divided by the expected frequency. This ratio is then multiplied by 2 and compared to a chi-squared distribution to determine its statistical significance. The formula for Log-Likelihood ratio is: LLR = 2 * (ln(O/E)), where O is the observed frequency and E is the expected frequency.

3. What is the significance of the Log-Likelihood ratio in natural language processing?

The Log-Likelihood ratio is used to measure the strength of association between a word or phrase and a specific context or language model. It helps in identifying the most significant words or phrases in a given corpus, which can then be used to improve various NLP tasks such as text classification, sentiment analysis, and information retrieval.

4. Can the Log-Likelihood ratio be used for any type of language model?

Yes, the Log-Likelihood ratio can be used for any type of language model, including n-gram models, bag-of-words models, and neural language models. However, it is important to note that the effectiveness of the Log-Likelihood ratio may vary depending on the type of language model and the size and diversity of the corpus being analyzed.

5. How does the Log-Likelihood ratio compare to other statistical measures in NLP?

The Log-Likelihood ratio is one of the most commonly used statistical measures in natural language processing, along with tf-idf and chi-squared. While tf-idf is used to measure the importance of a word in a document, and chi-squared is used to identify the most significant words in a corpus, the Log-Likelihood ratio combines the strengths of both these measures and provides a more robust and accurate measure of word significance in a given context or language model.