Locomotives on a collision track

In summary, the high-speed passenger train traveling at 88.0 km/h must reduce its speed to 22.0 km/h to avoid a collision with a locomotive that has improperly entered its track. To do this, a resulting constant acceleration of at least 0.191 km/hr^2 is needed. The equations used to solve this problem involve setting the final velocity and distance to 0 and using the initial velocity and distance of the locomotive as the starting point. It is recommended to convert the initial velocity to m/s^2 and the distance to meters before solving the equations.
kopinator
As a high-speed passenger train, traveling at 88.0 km/h, rounds a bend, the engineer realizes that a locomotive has improperly entered the train's track from a sidetrack distance d= 420 m ahead. That locomotive is moving at 22.0 km/h. The engineer immediately applies the brakes to reduce train's speed to the speed of the locomotive ahead. What minimal magnitude of the resulting constant acceleration is needed to prevent a collision?

I thought the equation to use would be Vfinal^2=Vinitial^2+2a(Xfinal-Xinitial). I converted the numbers so the answer would be in m/s^2 but that didn't work and then I tried leaving the numbers so my answer would be in km/h^2 but that didn't work either. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is easier to work out if you work in the coordinate system of the locomotive. Therefore v starts at 66 km/hr, while d starts at -.42 km. The problem then is to end up with a final speed = 0 and a final distance = 0.

The equations:
0 = 66 - at
0 = -.42 +66t - at2/2

a = acceleration (I put - in the equation, a will be a positive number), t = time.

Note that the time is in hrs and the acceleration would be in km/hr2. I suggest you convert 66 to m/sec2 and use 420 m before you start.

Last edited:

Related to Locomotives on a collision track

1. What causes locomotives to end up on a collision track?

There are several potential causes for a locomotive to end up on a collision track. These may include human error, mechanical failure, or track malfunctions. It is important for train operators and maintenance crews to regularly check for potential issues and address them promptly to prevent collisions.

2. How can we prevent collisions between locomotives on a collision track?

There are several safety measures in place to prevent collisions between locomotives on a collision track. These may include signaling systems, speed restrictions, and safety protocols for train operators. Regular maintenance and inspections of the tracks and trains can also help prevent accidents.

3. What is the impact of a collision between locomotives on a collision track?

The impact of a collision between locomotives on a collision track can be severe and even deadly. It can result in significant damage to the trains and tracks, as well as injuries or fatalities to passengers and crew members. It can also cause disruptions to train schedules and impact the surrounding communities.

4. How do we investigate and analyze locomotive collisions on a collision track?

After a locomotive collision on a collision track, a thorough investigation is typically conducted to determine the cause of the accident. This may involve analyzing data from the train's black box, examining the tracks and trains, and interviewing witnesses. The findings of the investigation can then inform safety improvements and prevent future accidents.

5. Is there ongoing research being done to improve safety measures for locomotives on a collision track?

Yes, there is ongoing research and development being done to improve safety measures for locomotives on a collision track. This includes advancements in signaling technology, train control systems, and collision avoidance technology. Additionally, there are ongoing efforts to improve operator training and maintenance procedures to prevent accidents from occurring.