Loading a synchronuos generator

• Thread starter cnh1995
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Generator
In summary: Neither the prime mover, nor the load are specified here. Each of them will have a slope delta-power/delta-frequency. In general, either slope could be positive, negative, or zero. The steady state change in frequency depends only on the sum of those two slopes.
cnh1995
Homework Helper
Gold Member
In synchronous generator, field electromagnet rotates and induces voltage in the stator coils. So, when the generator is loaded, it slows down. If the field is stationary and armature is conducting (as in dc generators), there will be "current carrying conductor in a magnetic field", resulting opposite motoring torque, slowing down the generator. But here there is a magnet(rotor) moving in magnetic field(of the stator conductors). How does this slow down the generator?

Engineering news on Phys.org
cnh1995 said:
In synchronous generator, field electromagnet rotates and induces voltage in the stator coils. So, when the generator is loaded, it slows down. If the field is stationary and armature is conducting (as in dc generators), there will be "current carrying conductor in a magnetic field", resulting opposite motoring torque, slowing down the generator. But here there is a magnet(rotor) moving in magnetic field(of the stator conductors). How does this slow down the generator?

It doesn't slow down at all, except very brief small deviations. As the name synchronous suggests, it continues to rotate at the same speed as the grid. It is "phase locked" with the other synchronous generators on the grid.

anorlunda said:
It doesn't slow down at all, except very brief small deviations. As the name synchronous suggests, it continues to rotate at the same speed as the grid. It is "phase locked" with the other synchronous generators on the grid.
I am talking about one in laboratory. It did slow down on loading and we got a load-frequency curve. What slows it down? I mean I can't see where and how I can apply motor effect rule. What happens to Lenz's "oppose the cause" policy?

cnh1995 said:
I am talking about one in laboratory. It did slow down on loading and we got a load-frequency curve. What slows it down? I mean I can't see where and how I can apply motor effect rule. What happens to Lenz's "oppose the cause" policy?

In that case, your entire "grid" slowed down, not just the one generator.

Conservation of energy requires that power into the grid, minus losses, must equal power to the load. If you hold mechanical power to the generator contant, then any change in load causes frequency to change until that balance is restored. Ditto if you hold load constant but change the mechanical power driving the generator.

Operation of any synchronous generator supplying power to a grid can be summarized as follows.

1. Rate of change of speed of the generator equals mechanical power minus losses minus electrical power sent to the grid.
  2. Rate of change of angle equals generator speed minus actual frequency of the grid as a function of time.
  3. Electrical power sent to the grid is proportional to the angle (for small pertubations.)
  4. Grid frequency settles to whatever value balances generation minues losses minus loads. i.e. conservation of energy.
Together, those four statements describe the differential equations for a second order damped oscillator. Any change causes frequency to oscillate around the steady state value. The steady state frequency is that which conserves energy.

In the large scale power grid, control systems adjust the mechanical power to all generators to restore frequency to the nominal 60 hz or 50 hz value. In a labratory, or on a small island, frequency can vary a lot.

Does that answer your question?

Well I understand that the alternator must follow the law of conservation of energy. What I don't understand is "how" it slows down. In a fixed pole rotating armature type generator, motoring torque due to armature current opposes the prime mover and slows it down. Similarly, how could I apply motor effect rule (left hand rule) in synchronous generator?

cnh1995 said:
Well I understand that the alternator must follow the law of conservation of energy. What I don't understand is "how" it slows down. In a fixed pole rotating armature type generator, motoring torque due to armature current opposes the prime mover and slows it down. Similarly, how could I apply motor effect rule (left hand rule) in synchronous generator?

You're making it more complicated than necessary, and you're off target.

Neither the prime mover, nor the load are specified here. Each of them will have a slope delta-power/delta-frequency. In general, either slope could be positive, negative, or zero. The steady state change in frequency depends only on the sum of those two slopes. It has nothing to do with the electrical concepts in your train of logic.

Related to Loading a synchronuos generator

1. How is a synchronous generator loaded?

A synchronous generator is typically loaded by connecting it to an electrical load or grid. This can be done using a switch or circuit breaker. The load is then gradually increased until the generator reaches its rated capacity.

2. What is the purpose of loading a synchronous generator?

The purpose of loading a synchronous generator is to provide electrical power to a load or grid. By loading the generator, it is able to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy and supply it to the connected load.

3. What factors affect the loading of a synchronous generator?

The loading of a synchronous generator can be affected by various factors such as the speed of the rotor, the strength of the magnetic field, the connected load, and the power factor. These factors can impact the efficiency and performance of the generator.

4. How is the loading of a synchronous generator controlled?

The loading of a synchronous generator is controlled by adjusting the excitation current or field current. This current controls the strength of the magnetic field and ultimately determines the output of the generator. Automatic voltage regulators (AVRs) are commonly used to regulate the excitation current.

5. What happens if a synchronous generator is overloaded?

If a synchronous generator is overloaded, it can lead to overheating and potential damage to the generator. This can also cause a drop in voltage and frequency, which can affect the connected load. It is important to carefully monitor and control the loading of a synchronous generator to prevent overloading.