Load (Weight) to bend A-514 Plate Steel?

In summary: Until then, please find someone with the qualifications and experience to help you with this type of project.
DKKrunch
I am tying to find out how much weight I can support with a piece of plate steel (A514) that is supported only on the three edges. The open span would be 30" wide 36" long and .500" thick. I need to know what the maximum amount of weight I can support with .250" or less deflection. Can anyone help? This plate will not have any support other than the three edges and I can't truss the top or bottom. Must be flat plate...

Engineering news on Phys.org
DKKrunch said:
I am tying to find out how much weight I can support with a piece of plate steel (A514) that is supported only on the three edges. The open span would be 30" wide 36" long and .500" thick. I need to know what the maximum amount of weight I can support with .250" or less deflection. Can anyone help? This plate will not have any support other than the three edges and I can't truss the top or bottom. Must be flat plate...
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What are you supporting with this plate?

I have a load of 6,000lbs. that we need to support with minimal deflection. I missed this in my explanation earlier. If we need to goto a thicker piece of plate that can happen, kind of in the early stages of design at this point.

Thank you for the Welcome.

DKKrunch said:
I have a load of 6,000lbs. that we need to support with minimal deflection. I missed this in my explanation earlier. If we need to goto a thicker piece of plate that can happen, kind of in the early stages of design at this point.

Thank you for the Welcome.
What is the load? What is the application?

We are building a carrier that will support the corner of a broken semi axle. Our front axles weigh 10,800lbs total and with weight transfer they come in at about 6,000lbs to the corner. Need to support the corner user the tire so we can transport into our shop when axle is locked up.

DKKrunch said:
We are building a carrier that will support the corner of a broken semi axle. Our front axles weigh 10,800lbs total and with weight transfer they come in at about 6,000lbs to the corner. Need to support the corner user the tire so we can transport into our shop when axle is locked up.
Who is your business insurance carrier?

Don't guess I follow what that has to do with load on a plate. If this is the wrong place to ask a load question I understand.

DKKrunch said:
Don't guess I follow what that has to do with load on a plate. If this is the wrong place to ask a load question I understand.
Whelp, we often get questions from folks who are trying to get help on dangerous projects that they do not have the qualifications to handle on their own. The worst are life-threat projects, like the one you are asking about. If you are not willing to share who your business has contracted with for business insurance on this very practical business project, then you probably are an amateur looking to the internet to try to bypass the usual professional qualification and responsibility requirements for conducting this kind of business design.

Thread is closed for now. If I've misread your qualifications for this project, please send me a private message (PM) with your ME and PE qualifications and your business information (including insurance carrier), and we can re-open the thread.

Related to Load (Weight) to bend A-514 Plate Steel?

1. What is the load (weight) capacity of A-514 plate steel?

The load capacity of A-514 plate steel varies depending on the thickness and grade of the steel. Generally, it has a tensile strength of 100,000 psi to 110,000 psi, which means it can withstand a significant amount of weight before bending or breaking.

2. How does the thickness of A-514 plate steel affect its load capacity?

The thicker the A-514 plate steel, the higher its load capacity. This is because thicker steel can distribute weight and stress more evenly, making it less likely to bend or break under a heavy load.

3. What is the bending strength of A-514 plate steel?

The bending strength of A-514 plate steel is typically around 50,000 psi to 60,000 psi. This means that it can withstand a certain amount of force or weight before bending or deforming.

4. How can I calculate the maximum load (weight) that A-514 plate steel can handle?

There is no specific formula for calculating the maximum load of A-514 plate steel. It depends on factors such as the grade and thickness of the steel, as well as the type of load and distribution of weight. It is best to consult with a structural engineer for an accurate calculation.

5. Is A-514 plate steel suitable for heavy-duty applications?

Yes, A-514 plate steel is commonly used in heavy-duty applications such as construction equipment, mining machinery, and military vehicles. It is known for its high strength and durability, making it a reliable choice for withstanding heavy loads.