Help me reinforce this steel platform :)

In summary: Bolts are carriage bolts. Braces are necessary. Castors are not necessary, but can be helpful. Plate is too thin to support the weight of the furnace. In summary, the platform needs cross member support and stronger bolts to avoid bending.
Gingerbunny82
Hey folks, I'm building this steel platform to support a furnace, the furnace will weigh about 350kg and cover approximately the area shown below:

IMG_0317b.jpg

The platform itself is mild steel sheet, 100cm x 100cm x 4mm thick.
Each castor is rated for 300kg each.

The problem I'm having is that even with the weight of one person ~ 80kg the steel plate is bending in the middle. Now I expected this would happen so I tried to brace the bottom of the plate with square tubing.

IMG_0323.JPG

The square tubing is 40mm x 40mm and 4mm wall thickness.

I added two 1m length braces spanning the full length of the plate, what I was wondering is if I add a brace running across (perpendicular) to the current braces will that help prevent the plate bending in the middle. Or is the plate just too thin to support the weight of the furnace?

Below is a picture showing the plate bending with just around 40kg weight in the middle:
IMG_0325.JPG

I'm willing to go back to the drawing board if necessary, ideally I would be looking at less than 5mm bend in the middle. Thanks in advance for the help :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
I suggest you look at some other designs or even buy a solution ie a push cart from Harbor Freight or some other outlet store that handles these types of products. Why?
You need cross member support which is currently lacking in one axis. And your selection of bolts could cause safety issues, you should have used carriage bolts to avoid protruding threads on the working surface. You should have at LEAST one locking castor. Just a few critiques. Buying a working solution would alleviate most of the above shortcomings.

CalcNerd said:
Buying a working solution would alleviate most of the above shortcomings.

Good advice. Thread is closed.

Related to Help me reinforce this steel platform :)

1. How can I reinforce a steel platform?

There are a few different methods for reinforcing a steel platform, depending on the specific needs and structure of the platform. Some common techniques include adding additional support beams or columns, increasing the thickness of the steel, and using reinforcing materials such as carbon fiber or fiberglass.

2. What are the benefits of reinforcing a steel platform?

Reinforcing a steel platform can provide several benefits, such as increasing its load-bearing capacity, improving its structural integrity, and extending its lifespan. Reinforcing can also help prevent potential accidents or collapse, providing a safer environment for those using the platform.

3. How do I determine if my steel platform needs reinforcement?

It is important to regularly inspect your steel platform for any signs of wear or damage. If you notice any cracks, corrosion, or deflection in the platform, it may be a sign that reinforcement is needed. It is always best to consult with a structural engineer to assess the condition of your platform and determine the best course of action.

4. Can I reinforce my steel platform myself?

The reinforcement of a steel platform is a complex process that requires specialized knowledge and skills. It is not recommended to attempt to reinforce the platform yourself, as it can lead to further damage or potential safety hazards. It is best to consult with a professional engineer or contractor for proper reinforcement of your steel platform.

5. How much will it cost to reinforce my steel platform?

The cost of reinforcing a steel platform can vary greatly depending on the size, condition, and reinforcement method needed. It is best to consult with a professional engineer or contractor for an accurate cost estimate. However, the cost of reinforcement is often much less than the cost of repairing or replacing a damaged platform, making it a worthwhile investment in the long run.