Load-Elongation Curve: Reading Elongation at a Load

• Thread starter Reveille
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the conversation discusses a tensile test and the process of measuring elongation at specific loads. The person had two plates that were stretched to different lengths after the test and was having trouble understanding the results. They attempted to use a graph and calculations to determine the elongation, but found discrepancies. After realizing their mistake, they were able to accurately read the elongation at a load.
Reveille

Homework Statement

I have done a tensile test.
Now that remains to do is create a table where the elongation (in mm) is shown at a specific load (in kN).

I had two plates that I put through the tensile test.
Both of them were 165 mm before the test.
After measuring after the test, the first has been stretched to 178 mm and the other has been stretched to 188 mm.

The problem I am having is that the supposed elongation doesn't seem to add up.

Homework Equations

index.jpg

Not an equation but the graph of the load-elongation curve.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

The graph has been drawn at a running speed of 1:2 mm.
I assumed the x-axis would be the elongation.
All I had to was draw a line down from the needed loads and multiply by because it's on a 1:2 mm scale.

However, the first one (the tall one), if I drew a line straight down at the end and measure the difference between start and end. It seems to be 5.2 mm, multiplied by two gives me 10.4 mm.
The actual elongation has been (178-165) = 13 mm. 10.4, 13 mm, it's still a difference.
The second one however seems to be 5.6 mm, multiplied by two gives me 11.2 mm.
It is actually (188-165) = 23 mm.
Now, that is a bit too big of a difference to me.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Am I going into it with a completely wrong mindset?
I just can't seem to figure out how to read the elongation at a load.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I figured it out. I misread the explanation.

Related to Load-Elongation Curve: Reading Elongation at a Load

1. What is a load-elongation curve?

A load-elongation curve is a graph that shows the relationship between the applied load and the resulting elongation of a material. It is used to determine the mechanical properties of a material, such as its stiffness, strength, and ductility.

2. How is elongation measured on a load-elongation curve?

Elongation is typically measured by marking the original length of the material and then measuring the distance between the marks after a load has been applied. This change in length is then divided by the original length and multiplied by 100 to calculate the percentage of elongation.

3. What is the significance of reading elongation at a load?

Reading elongation at a specific load can provide information about the behavior of a material under a certain amount of stress. This can be useful for determining the material's strength and how it will respond to different loads in real-world applications.

4. How is the elongation at a load calculated from a load-elongation curve?

The elongation at a specific load can be calculated by finding the point on the curve that corresponds to the desired load and then reading the elongation value from the y-axis. This value can then be used to calculate the percentage of elongation as described in the answer to question 2.

5. How can a load-elongation curve be used in material testing?

A load-elongation curve is commonly used in material testing to determine the mechanical properties of a material, such as its yield strength, ultimate tensile strength, and ductility. It can also be used to compare the properties of different materials and to analyze the effects of different processing methods on a material's behavior.