Load Bearing Capacities of Steel Rods & Ropes: A Comparison

In summary: If the load was applied at the end of the rod, the fibres would not be able to slide against each other, and the crack would extend all the way to the end of the rod.
suryanarayan
Consider a steel rod of diameter 'd'. If the same rod is broken up into strands and arranged parallel to one another so as to form a new rod of the same diameter 'd' ,Which will have a higher load bearing capacity?. Instead of being arranged parallel , If they are made into a rope of similar diameter 'd' , Will the results still be the same?
Something related to this was taught in our class today and the teacher had said that the fiber one would have more strength but he did not elaborate.So I tried searching the internet but all could find was that ,if they are arranged in parallel,due to a reduction in area,they would be weaker than the solid one.But I am not sure whether this is correct as this was a random post answer and I couldn't find anything on the rope version of it.Please clarify this for me
Please give reasons as well.
Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
ok this is just a guess but i have always been told that "a change is only as strong as it weakest link" if one could look at everything from that point of view the solid rod would be stronger than the rod made of smaller pieces but the rope like one would think could be a little stronger because it would be woven and interlaced so one strand would not have to bare the load of the hole length it would be broken up every time another strand crosses it and if one strand broke the others would be there to take up the slack even throw the rope would become weaker at that point i guess it would come down to where you are stressing the rope, rode, bars and how long of a length of one that you are using to stress it and of course the material that you would be using

suryanarayan said:
Which will have a higher load bearing capacity?
It depends on the orientation of the load application.

In tension it will probably be stronger because the fibres can share the load, if any fibre breaks the break will not spread. A crack on the surface of a solid rod will move through the entire rod resulting in total failure.

If the load was applied to the side of the rod, the fibre rod would flex long before the solid because the fibres could slide against each other.

Related to Load Bearing Capacities of Steel Rods & Ropes: A Comparison

1. What is the purpose of comparing the load bearing capacities of steel rods and ropes?

The purpose of this comparison is to determine which material is better suited for supporting heavy loads in various situations.

2. What factors affect the load bearing capacity of steel rods and ropes?

The load bearing capacity of steel rods and ropes can be affected by factors such as the thickness, length, and composition of the material, as well as environmental conditions such as temperature and moisture.

3. How is the load bearing capacity of steel rods and ropes tested?

The load bearing capacity of steel rods and ropes is typically tested through various methods such as tension tests, compression tests, and bending tests. These tests involve applying controlled amounts of force to the material and measuring its response.

4. What are the advantages of using steel rods over ropes for load bearing purposes?

Steel rods have a higher tensile strength and stiffness compared to ropes, making them more suitable for supporting heavy loads. They are also less susceptible to damage from environmental factors such as moisture and UV exposure.

5. Are there any safety considerations when using steel rods and ropes for load bearing purposes?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety protocols when using steel rods and ropes for load bearing purposes. This includes ensuring that the materials are properly installed and secured, and regularly inspecting them for any signs of wear or damage.