Little confussed (Mean Value Theorem)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Intermediate Value Theorem to show that an equation has exactly one root. The Mean Value Theorem is also mentioned, but it is clarified that the Intermediate Value Theorem is the proper tool for this situation. It is explained that the Intermediate Value Theorem states that a continuous real function will hit all points between two points in its range, and this is used to show that there is at least one root between 0 and π. The Mean Value Theorem is also briefly described and it is mentioned that it is more subtle than the Intermediate Value Theorem. The conversation ends with a question about how to choose values for the Intermediate Value Theorem.
powp
Hello All

I am a bit confussed with this question I have.

Show that the equation 2x - 1 - sin x = 0 has exactly one root. So this apears in the Mean Value Theorem section of my book. If some one can help it would be great.

I believe I need to use the Intermediate Value Theorem to show that a root exists, but am unsure of what values to use for it. Do I just pick random numbers? I need to show that there is a value between f(a) and f(b) that equals zero which will be a the root. Am I correct??

THanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The "intermediate value theorem" says that a continuous real function hits all the points in between two points in its range. To put it into human language, for example, it means that if right now you're 425 miles away from your baby, and two months ago you were 0 miles away from your baby, then, since 0 < 133 < 425, there must have been a time, in the last two months, that you were exactly 133 miles away from your baby.

Carl

powp said:
Hello All
I am a bit confussed with this question I have.
Show that the equation 2x - 1 - sin x = 0 has exactly one root. So this apears in the Mean Value Theorem section of my book. If some one can help it would be great.
I believe I need to use the Intermediate Value Theorem to show that a root exists, but am unsure of what values to use for it. Do I just pick random numbers? I need to show that there is a value between f(a) and f(b) that equals zero which will be a the root. Am I correct??
THanks

If x= 0 f(x)= 2x-1-sin x= -1<0. If x= [itex]\pi[/itex], f(x)= 2x- 1- sin x= [itex]2\pi[/itex]> 0. So there exist at least one root between 0 and [itex]\pi[/itex].
However, as carlB pointed out, that's the "intermediate value property", not the "mean value theorem".
Suppose there were more than one root, at, say, x1 and x2. Then the "average" change between the two points would be (f(x1)- f(x2)/(x1- x2)= 0 and the mean value theorem says that there must be a point between x1 and x2 where the derivative is 0. f'(x)= 2- cos(x). Where is that 0?

Uh, the "Mean Value Theorem" says that if right now you're 55 miles from your baby, and an hour ago you were 25 miles from your baby, then there must have been at least one moment when you were moving towards your baby at a rate of exactly 30 miles per hour.

It's a little more subtle than the intermediate value theorem.

Carl

Uh, the "Mean Value Theorem" says that if right now you're 55 miles from your baby, and an hour ago you were 25 miles from your baby, then there must have been at least one moment when you were moving towards your baby at a rate of exactly 30 miles per hour.

It's a little more subtle than the intermediate value theorem.

Carl

Thanks HallsofIvy and CarlB

Just one other question right now.

HallsofIvy said
If x= 0 f(x)= 2x-1-sin x= -1<0. If x=Pi, f(x)= 2x- 1- sin x= > 0

How do you know which values to use Itermediate Value? the zero and PI that you picked. Thanks

Related to Little confussed (Mean Value Theorem)

What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that for any continuous and differentiable function on an interval, there exists at least one point where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function on that interval.

How is the Mean Value Theorem used in calculus?

The Mean Value Theorem is used to prove various results in calculus, such as the existence of derivatives and the concavity of a function. It also allows for the calculation of the average rate of change of a function, which can be useful in real-world applications.

What is the significance of the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is significant because it provides a powerful tool for analyzing the behavior of functions on intervals. It allows for the connection between the derivative and the rate of change of a function, which is crucial in understanding the behavior and properties of functions.

What are the assumptions of the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem has two main assumptions: the function must be continuous on the interval and differentiable on the open interval. These assumptions ensure that the theorem is applicable and that the slope of the tangent line exists at the point of interest.

Can the Mean Value Theorem be applied to all functions?

No, the Mean Value Theorem can only be applied to continuous and differentiable functions. If a function is not continuous or differentiable on an interval, then the Mean Value Theorem cannot be used to find the average rate of change at a specific point.