Little confused about raising a complex number to a power.

In summary, the conversation is about finding the solution for α11 in cartesian form, where α is equal to 2e3∏i/4. The discussion includes the steps of adding 2kpi to get the exponential in the range of -∏,∏ and determining the correct exponent as 3πi/4. It is also noted that 33/7 is equal to 8+1/7, leading to the correct solution of e^{\pi i/4}. The conversation ends with gratitude for clearing up any confusion.
charmedbeauty

Homework Statement

α=2e3∏i/4

find α11 in cartesian form.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It's been a while since I've done these but from what remember you add 2kpi to get exp in the range of -∏,∏.

so if I let k=15

I get e3∏i/4

but the sltn says it needs to be raised to ∏i/4

can some one please tell me why, should I be adding 4k∏ since it is divided by 4?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, dear! I just divided wrong! 33/7= 8+ 1/7.

Last edited by a moderator:
charmedbeauty said:
so if I let k=15

I get e3∏i/4

I get something different.. [itex] (e^{3 \pi i /4} )^{11} = e^{33 \pi i /4} = e^{8 \pi i + \pi i/4} = e^{\pi i/4} [/itex]

HallsofIvy said:
What you have is correct. The exponent is [itex]3\pi i/4[/itex], not [itex]\pi i/4[/itex].

Hmm, I get the exponent as [itex]\pi i/4[/itex].

We have,

[tex]\vec{p} = e^{3\pi i/4}[/tex]

Raising the power to 11,

[tex]\vec{t} = e^{33\pi i/4}[/tex]

Looking at [itex]33\pi /4[/itex] we see that it crosses the first quadrant[itex](2n\pi)[/itex], 4 times, so that gives an angular displacement of [itex]8\pi[/itex]. Let x be the angle in cartesian range we are looking for,

[tex]8\pi + x = \frac{33\pi}{4}[/tex]Edit : Just saw your edit :-p

HallsofIvy said:
Oh, dear! I just divided wrong! 33/7= 8+ 1/7.

oops I did the same thing, oh damn!

Thanks for clearing that up anyhow.

Related to Little confused about raising a complex number to a power.

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that consists of two parts - a real number and an imaginary number. It is written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. How do you raise a complex number to a power?

To raise a complex number to a power, you can use De Moivre's theorem or the polar form of complex numbers. De Moivre's theorem states that (a + bi)^n = r^n(cos(nθ) + i sin(nθ)), where r is the magnitude of the complex number and θ is the angle of the complex number in the polar form.

3. Can a complex number be raised to any power?

Yes, a complex number can be raised to any power, including negative and fractional powers. However, the result may not always be a complex number.

4. How do you simplify a complex number raised to a power?

To simplify a complex number raised to a power, you can use the properties of exponents and simplify the real and imaginary parts separately. You can also convert the complex number to its polar form and use De Moivre's theorem to simplify.

5. Why is raising a complex number to a power confusing?

Raising a complex number to a power can be confusing because it involves both real and imaginary numbers, and the result may not always be a complex number. It also requires an understanding of De Moivre's theorem and the polar form of complex numbers.