Linking Transformers in Series: Voltage Compatibility and Polarity Concerns

In summary, it is possible to connect transformer primaries or secondaries in series. Be careful not to exceed the rated voltage or current of either device.
danilorj
hi guys,
I want to know if it is always possible to link two transformers in series with different rated voltage. And if there is any concern about the polarity.
If it is not possible in which conditions it can be done?

Engineering news on Phys.org
danilorj said:
hi guys,
I want to know if it is always possible to link two transformers in series with different rated voltage. And if there is any concern about the polarity.
If it is not possible in which conditions it can be done?

What do you mean by linking them in series? Why would you do that? It's done in some multi-configuration transformers (like ones that are used in both 110Vrms and 220Vrms applications), but in general, I don't know why you would do this. Can you explain the context a bit more?

Yes, you can connect transformer primaries or secondaries in series.

You just have to be careful not to exceed the rated voltage or current of either device.

It is most often done to get a higher voltage on a secondary output by connecting lower voltage secondaries in series.
It is important to get the phase right, but if you get it wrong, the voltages just subtract rather than add.
Nothing bad happens, so you just reconnect them.

Do you have an application that may need this?

Ok. When I link three monofasic transformers in delta or star what are the concerns to take about the polarity, capacity, rated current and tension?

Be sure to preserve phase from primary to secondary, or you will end up with some peculiar voltage combinations. You don't want to exceed the transformer's VA rating in any given leg.

It's also possible to convert from delta to Y, or Y to delta using three single phase transformers, by the way.

danilorj said:
Ok. When I link three monofasic transformers in delta or star what are the concerns to take about the polarity, capacity, rated current and tension?
I like this winding configuration paper which may be of interest to you.
"www.basler.com/downloads/3phXfmrs.pdf"[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Linking Transformers in Series: Voltage Compatibility and Polarity Concerns

What is the "Transformers connection"?

The "Transformers connection" refers to the connection between the popular science fiction franchise, Transformers, and real-life technology and science. It explores the possibility of advanced robots or technology like those depicted in the franchise.

How realistic are the technologies in Transformers?

The technologies in Transformers are mostly based on science fiction and are not currently possible with our current level of technology. However, some elements, such as the use of advanced materials and artificial intelligence, have real-world applications and are actively being researched.

Are there any real-life Transformers?

While there are no actual robots that can transform into vehicles like in the franchise, there are advanced robots being developed that can mimic human movements and perform tasks with incredible precision, such as those used in manufacturing and space exploration.

What is the role of science in the Transformers franchise?

Science plays a significant role in the Transformers franchise, as it is the basis for the creation and abilities of the robots. The franchise also often explores the ethical implications of advanced technology and its impact on society.

Can we expect to see real-life Transformers in the future?

It is unlikely that we will see actual robots that can transform into vehicles like in the franchise, but as technology continues to advance, we may see more advanced robots with human-like abilities and appearances. However, it is important to remember that there are many ethical and safety considerations that must be taken into account before creating such advanced technology.