Link between 'time' component of 4-momentum and energy

In summary: No! For a particle of mass ##m## moving with 3-velocity ##\vec{u}## the 4-momentum is ##p = (m \gamma c, m \gamma \vec{u})##, where ##\gamma = (1 - u^2/c^2)^{-1/2}##, while the (total) energy is ##E = m c^2 \gamma##. Note that ##E = p^0 c##, NOT ##p^0##.
bananabandana

Homework Statement

$$ E = -\vec{v_{obs}} \cdot \vec{p} $$

Where ## \vec{p} ## is the four momentum, and ## \vec{v_{obs}}## the velocity of the observer.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
This was a stated result in a GR course. I look through my SR notes and find that I have actually never seen a proof that ## p^{0}## is exactly,definitely the energy.

I understand that the norm of the four momentum will be invariant etc...
But the phrase in the notes I have "For a free, non-interacting particle there is no physically meaningful property of "energy"" is making me uncomfortable - have I fundamentally misunderstood something?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
bananabandana said:

Homework Statement

$$ E = -\vec{v_{obs}} \cdot \vec{p} $$

Where ## \vec{p} ## is the four momentum, and ## \vec{v_{obs}}## the velocity of the observer.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
This was a stated result in a GR course. I look through my SR notes and find that I have actually never seen a proof that ## p^{0}## is exactly,definitely the energy.

I understand that the norm of the four momentum will be invariant etc...
But the phrase in the notes I have "For a free, non-interacting particle there is no physically meaningful property of "energy"" is making me uncomfortable - have I fundamentally misunderstood something?

Thanks!

Actually, if ##c## is the in vacuo speed of light, then energy is ##c p^0##; you need that extra ##c## to make the units come out right.

Anyway, how you can take an inner product of a 3-vector ##\vec{v_{obs}}## and a 4-vector ##p##?

Ray Vickson said:
Actually, if ##c## is the in vacuo speed of light, then energy is ##c p^0##; you need that extra ##c## to make the units come out right.

Anyway, how you can take an inner product of a 3-vector ##\vec{v_{obs}}## and a 4-vector ##p##?

Good question - I presume it's the four velocity of the observer (these are directly from my lecture notes).

I guess another part of my confusion is the fact that we have :

$$
p^{\mu} = m \frac{dx^{\mu}}{d\tau}
\\[2mm]
p^{\mu} = \bigg(E,\vec{\dot{x}} \bigg) \\[2mm]
\implies m\frac{dx^{0}}{d\tau} = E
$$
Which I find a bit odd/ how is this the same quantity as my familiar 'classical' energy? Even if the units do work out (I have missed a factor of c somewhere).

Edit - The oddness to me being that we somehow have some kind of rate of change of a time co-ordinate associated with an energy... so that somehow having higher energy, is associated, in some sense with a higher rate of motion in time?? But that sounds bananas to me...

bananabandana said:
Good question - I presume it's the four velocity of the observer (these are directly from my lecture notes).

I guess another part of my confusion is the fact that we have :

$$
p^{\mu} = m \frac{dx^{\mu}}{d\tau}
\\[2mm]
p^{\mu} = \bigg(E,\vec{\dot{x}} \bigg) \\[2mm]
\implies m\frac{dx^{0}}{d\tau} = E
$$
Which I find a bit odd/ how is this the same quantity as my familiar 'classical' energy? Even if the units do work out (I have missed a factor of c somewhere).

Edit - The oddness to me being that we somehow have some kind of rate of change of a time co-ordinate associated with an energy... so that somehow having higher energy, is associated, in some sense with a higher rate of motion in time?? But that sounds bananas to me...

No! For a particle of mass ##m## moving with 3-velocity ##\vec{u}## the 4-momentum is ##p = (m \gamma c, m \gamma \vec{u})##, where ##\gamma = (1 - u^2/c^2)^{-1/2}##, while the (total) energy is ##E = m c^2 \gamma##. Note that ##E = p^0 c##, NOT ##p^0##. Why do you continue to ignore this distinction? If nothing else, look at the units: the units of momentum are ##\text{mass}\times \text{velocity}## while the units of energy are ##\text{mass} \times \text{velocity}^2##. It has been that way ever since the time of Newton.

Sure, sure - the units are important and I entirely agree that ## p^{0}c ## has the correct units of energy. What I find confusing is not the units, but the idea that somehow a translation in time is related to my classical picture of energy :)

Related to Link between 'time' component of 4-momentum and energy

1. What is the meaning of the "time" component of 4-momentum?

The "time" component of 4-momentum is a mathematical quantity that represents the energy of a particle in motion. It is a component of the 4-momentum vector, which describes the momentum and energy of a particle in spacetime.

2. How is the time component of 4-momentum related to energy?

The time component of 4-momentum is directly proportional to the energy of a particle. This means that as the energy of the particle increases, the time component of its 4-momentum also increases.

3. What is the significance of the link between time component of 4-momentum and energy?

The link between the time component of 4-momentum and energy is significant because it allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the behavior of particles in motion. It also helps to explain various phenomena in physics, such as the conservation of energy.

4. How does the time component of 4-momentum factor into the theory of relativity?

In the theory of relativity, the time component of 4-momentum is a key factor in understanding the relationship between energy and mass. It is also used in the equations that describe the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

5. Can the time component of 4-momentum be negative?

Yes, the time component of 4-momentum can be negative. This indicates that the particle is moving in the opposite direction of its momentum, and its energy is decreasing. However, in most cases, the time component of 4-momentum is positive, representing particles moving in the same direction as their momentum and gaining energy.