Linearly Independent/Dependent

• Thread starter JosephK
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linearly
In summary, linear independence refers to a set of vectors that cannot be expressed as a linear combination of each other. To determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent, the only solution to the equation c1v1 + c2v2 + ... + cnvn = 0 must be c1 = c2 = ... = cn = 0. Linear independence is also related to the concept of span, as a set of vectors is linearly independent if and only if it spans the entire vector space. A set of two vectors can be linearly dependent if one is a scalar multiple of the other. Linear independence is used in solving systems of linear equations to determine the number of unique solutions and to find the basis of a vector
JosephK
Is a linear equation y'+P(x)y=Q(x) not linear if P(x) and Q(x) are not linearly dependent function?

Does linearly dependent mean a constant multiplied by P(x) will equal Q(x)?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
JosephK said:
Is a linear equation y'+P(x)y=Q(x) not linear if P(x) and Q(x) are not linearly dependent function?

Does linearly dependent mean a constant multiplied by P(x) will equal Q(x)?

Thank you.

No.

The equation itself may or not be linear. In this case, it is because y and y' occur only as first degree. It has nothing to do with x.

An nth order linear homogeneous DE will have n linearly independent solutions. That is not the same concept. A first order DE as in your example can not have two linearly independent solutions. So if your example was y' + P(x)y = 0, and y is a solution, then any constant time y is a solution. Such solutions are linearly dependent.

In recognizing linear differential equations for example y'+3x^2y=x^2 I do not say this linear differential equation is linear because I can multiply x^2 by 3).

I should say because y and y' are of the first degree this equation is linear.

What about y'-y=xy^2?

Is this linear differential equation non-linear because the y to the right is not in the first degree?

What about y'-2xy=1/x*y*lny?

Is this linear differential equation not linear because the coefficient of the y to the right hand side depends on y?

Thank you.

JosephK said:
In recognizing linear differential equations for example y'+3x^2y=x^2 I do not say this linear differential equation is linear because I can multiply x^2 by 3).

Correct.
What about y'-y=xy^2?

Is this linear differential equation non-linear because the y to the right is not in the first degree?
Correct.
edit: I read this too fast. As Mark44 points out below, an equation is either linear or not. This equation is non-linear.

Is this linear differential equation not linear because the coefficient of the y to the right hand side depends on y?
It's non-linear because a non-linear function of y (y * ln y) appears in the equation.

Last edited:
JosephK said:

Yes. This is a linear differential equation. A linear DE is one in which y, y', y'', etc. occur to the first power. How the independent variable (x in this case) occurs doesn't enter into the description.
JosephK said:
What about y'-y=xy^2?

No. This differential equation is nonlinear for the reason you say. A differential equation is either linear or nonlinear. It makes no sense to ask if a linear DE is nonlinear. If it's nonlinear it is not a linear differential equation.
JosephK said:

Your question should be, "Is this differential equation nonlinear ..." It is nonlinear because of the lny factor on the right side.

Related to Linearly Independent/Dependent

1. What is the definition of linear independence?

Linear independence refers to a set of vectors in a vector space that cannot be expressed as a linear combination of each other. In other words, the vectors are not dependent on each other and contribute unique information to the space.

2. How can I determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent?

A set of vectors is linearly independent if and only if the only solution to the equation c1v1 + c2v2 + ... + cnvn = 0 is c1 = c2 = ... = cn = 0, where c1, c2, ..., cn are constants and v1, v2, ..., vn are the vectors in the set.

3. What is the relationship between linear independence and span?

A set of vectors is linearly independent if and only if it spans the entire vector space, meaning that any vector in the space can be expressed as a linear combination of the vectors in the set. If a set of vectors is not linearly independent, it can only span a subspace of the vector space.

4. Can a set of two vectors be linearly dependent?

Yes, a set of two vectors can be linearly dependent if one vector is a scalar multiple of the other. For example, if v1 = [1, 2] and v2 = [2, 4], these vectors are linearly dependent because v2 is equal to 2v1.

5. How is linear independence used in solving systems of linear equations?

In solving systems of linear equations, linear independence is used to determine the number of unique solutions. If the system has a unique solution, the set of equations is linearly independent. If the system has infinitely many solutions, the equations are linearly dependent. This concept is also used in finding the basis of a vector space, which is important in solving systems of linear equations.