Linearizing Cosine: Finding Derivatives w/Moivre's

In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches to finding the sum of two cosines, also known as linearizing. The final result is \frac{\cos(4x) + \cos(6x)}{2}, which can be derived using trigonometric identities or Moivre's formula. The conversation also mentions using the function cis(z) = cos(z) + i sin(z) to simplify the process.
springo

Homework Statement

I make the product [tex]\cos(x)\cos(5x)[/tex] a sum of two cosines. I think this is called linearizing but please correct me if I'm wrong.
(I need it to find the n-th derivative of that function).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer is:
[tex]\frac{\cos(4x)+\cos(6x)}{2}[/tex]
- Thanks HP 50g ;) -
But how do I get to this result?
I think I should be using Moivre's formula but I get both sines and cosines in my formula.

Physics news on Phys.org
But how do I get to this result?
The most straightforward way is to apply the basic trig identities. The relevant one is on the list of ones you should, if you intend to do a lot of arithmetic with trig functions, either have memorized, or know how to derive quickly.

I think I should be using Moivre's formula but I get both sines and cosines in my formula.
Did you finish simplifying the expression you got? What did you actually get?

Hurkyl said:
The most straightforward way is to apply the basic trig identities. The relevant one is on the list of ones you should, if you intend to do a lot of arithmetic with trig functions, either have memorized, or know how to derive quicky.Did you finish simplifying the expression you got? What did you actually get?
Well, I did get to this with Moivre's formula:
[tex]16\cos^6 x-20\cos^4 x+5\cos^2 x[/tex]

Obviously I could expand cos(4x) and cos(6x) and be like "Oh! If you sum them and divide by 2, you get that too!" but I would never think about expanding cos(4x) and cos(6x) if I didn't know the result beforehand.

What were your first couple steps?

If you did what I think you did... you might consider not expanding your cis's, preferring to keep them in factored form.

(If you haven't seen that abbreviation, the function cis is defined as [itex]cis(z) = cos(z) + i sin(z)[/itex])

springo said:
Well, I did get to this with Moivre's formula:
[tex]16\cos^6 x-20\cos^4 x+5\cos^2 x[/tex]

Obviously I could expand cos(4x) and cos(6x) and be like "Oh! If you sum them and divide by 2, you get that too!" but I would never think about expanding cos(4x) and cos(6x) if I didn't know the result beforehand.
Actually, you might! If you knew that the expansion of [itex]cos(nx)[/itex] has [itex]cos^n x[/itex] in it, you would consider expanding [itex]cos(6x)[/itex] to kill off the leading term, and then continue going from there.

Hurkyl said:
What were your first couple steps?

If you did what I think you did... you might consider not expanding your cis's, preferring to keep them in factored form.(If you haven't seen that abbreviation, the function cis is defined as [itex]cis(z) = cos(z) + i sin(z)[/itex])
What I did:
[itex]cis(z) = cis(nz) cos(nz) + i sin(nz) = [cos(z) + i sin(z)]^n[/itex]
Then take real part. Then replace: [itex]sin^2 (x) = 1- cos^2 (x)[/itex]
I don't really understand what you mean by not expanding my cis(z).

Edit: That would leave me with something to the fourth power and I would think "maybe now try cos(4x)" and voilà! Yep... But I still would like to hear the explanation for cis(z) if it's possible.

I had assumed you started by doing something like

[tex]
\cos x \cos 5x = \frac{cis(x) + cis(-x)}{2} \frac{cis(5x) + cis(-5x)}{2}
[/tex]

or maybe

[tex]
\cos x \cos 5x = \mathcal{R}[ cis(x) ] \mathcal{R}[ cis(5x) ]
[/tex]

(Grrr, why can't I figure out how to typeset this right? :frown:)

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:
I had assumed you started by doing something like

[tex]
\cos x \cos 5x = \frac{cis(x) + cis(-x)}{2} \frac{cis(5x) + cis(-5x)}{2}
[/tex]

or maybe

[tex]
\cos x \cos 5x = \mathcal{R}[ cis(x) ] \mathcal{R}[ cis(5x) ]
[/tex]

(Grrr, why can't I figure out how to typeset this right? :frown:)
It was the latter. The former uses formulae I have never encountered.

springo said:
It was the latter. The former uses formulae I have never encountered.
Do you know how to write the "real part" function in terms of complex conjugation?

Hurkyl said:
Do you know how to write the "real part" function in terms of complex conjugation?
[tex]\Re (z) = \frac{z + \overline{z}}{2}[/tex]
Right?

springo said:
[tex]\Re (z) = \frac{z + \overline{z}}{2}[/tex]
Right?
Right. That's where the other formula I wrote came from.

(Incidentally, similar ideas can be used to kill off unwanted terms in various trig identities...)

Related to Linearizing Cosine: Finding Derivatives w/Moivre's

1. What is the formula for linearizing cosine using Moivre's method?

The formula for linearizing cosine using Moivre's method is cos(x) = (e^(ix) + e^(-ix)) / 2.

2. What is Moivre's theorem and how is it related to linearizing cosine?

Moivre's theorem states that for any complex number z and positive integer n, (cos(z) + i*sin(z))^n = cos(nz) + i*sin(nz). This theorem is used in linearizing cosine by expressing cos(x) in terms of complex numbers and using the binomial theorem to expand and simplify the expression.

3. Why is it useful to linearize cosine using Moivre's method?

Linearizing cosine using Moivre's method allows us to find the derivative of cosine, which is useful in many areas of mathematics and science. It also allows us to simplify complex expressions involving cosine, making them easier to work with and manipulate.

4. Can Moivre's method be used to linearize other trigonometric functions?

Yes, Moivre's method can be used to linearize other trigonometric functions such as sine, tangent, and secant. However, the formulas for linearizing these functions may differ from the one used for cosine.

5. What are some real-world applications of linearizing cosine using Moivre's method?

Linearizing cosine using Moivre's method has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. For example, it can be used to model and analyze harmonic motion, such as the motion of a pendulum or a vibrating string. It is also used in signal processing, control systems, and other areas of mathematics and science.