Linearizing a second order non-linear equation

In summary, the conversation revolves around a student trying to model a feedback loop between two proteins with differential equations and then using an extended Kalman Filter to estimate protein levels in real time. The student is having trouble linearizing the equations and receives help from someone who suggests using the matrix F for the propagation of the error covariance matrix. The student also mentions using the Runge-Kutta method for linearization.
zaotron

Homework Statement

I am modeling a set of equations for a protein network. It is a feedback loop between 2 proteins. I have gotten the differential equations for this model and plan on doing an extended Kalman Filter to estimate the levels of protein in real time. However, I am having trouble trying to linearize the equations so I can put them into a state space equation, which is essential to the Kalman Filter.

Homework Equations

The equations are shown below, the only variables are x, y, and S. All the other variables are just constants.

gfds.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted to try and linearize this model by discretizing the equations. I represented each equation as a function of time with its initial value at zero (x(0)) added to the value at time n, where n is equal to the number of steps in time. Then, I tried to represent each of the equation by putting them into the s-domain and then solving for the first derivative. However, I don't think that I'm going about the correctly, I'm having trouble linearizing these equations. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
zaotron said:

Homework Statement

I am modeling a set of equations for a protein network. It is a feedback loop between 2 proteins. I have gotten the differential equations for this model and plan on doing an extended Kalman Filter to estimate the levels of protein in real time. However, I am having trouble trying to linearize the equations so I can put them into a state space equation, which is essential to the Kalman Filter.

Homework Equations

The equations are shown below, the only variables are x, y, and S. All the other variables are just constants.

gfds.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted to try and linearize this model by discretizing the equations. I represented each equation as a function of time with its initial value at zero (x(0)) added to the value at time n, where n is equal to the number of steps in time. Then, I tried to represent each of the equation by putting them into the s-domain and then solving for the first derivative. However, I don't think that I'm going about the correctly, I'm having trouble linearizing these equations. Can anyone help?

You have [tex]\frac{dX}{dt} = f(X,t)[/tex]
Where X is your state vector (x, y, S)'.
Now you calculate [tex]F = \frac{df}{dX}[/tex] at some known point (x(0), y(0), S(0))'.
Your linearized equation will be [tex]\frac{dX}{dt} = F \cdot X[/tex].
After each iteration of the filter F must be recalculated at the new estimate.

Thanks a ton! That helped out a lot! I also used another method called the Runge Kutta method to help with linearization.

zaotron said:
Thanks a ton! That helped out a lot! I also used another method called the Runge Kutta method to help with linearization.

You can use Runge-Kutta for the propagation of the state. For the propagation of the error covariance matrix you should use the matrix F that I proposed.

Related to Linearizing a second order non-linear equation

1. What is the definition of linearizing a second order non-linear equation?

Linearizing a second order non-linear equation means transforming it into an equivalent linear equation. This is done by making a change of variables or using a linear approximation.

2. Why is it important to linearize a second order non-linear equation?

Linearization allows us to simplify complex equations and make them easier to solve. It also helps us to better understand the behavior and properties of non-linear systems.

3. What methods can be used to linearize a second order non-linear equation?

There are two main methods for linearizing a second order non-linear equation: using a change of variables and using a linear approximation or Taylor series expansion.

4. Can any non-linear equation be linearized?

No, not all non-linear equations can be linearized. The equation must have certain properties, such as being differentiable, in order for linearization to be possible.

5. How does linearizing a second order non-linear equation affect its solutions?

Linearization can change the solutions of a non-linear equation, as the transformed linear equation may have different roots or solutions. However, linearization can provide useful approximations of the original solutions.