Linear Transformation Proofs: Check My Work and Correct Errors | Math Help

• Thread starter mmmboh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary: A= x^2 and B=-x^2?Again, I get zero.I don't understand why this is. T[x2p(1/x)+x2b(1/x)]=x2p(1/x)+x2b(1/x)+dx2, so it should equal x2p(1/x)+x2b(1/x)+dx2+ex whatever A and B are.I think your conclusions are right.for the third, what would happen if you took A= x^2 and B=-x^2?Again, I get zero.I don't
mmmboh
Hi, would someone be able to check my proofs for me and tell me if they are right and if not what is wrong please?

ou0a3l.jpg

So for the first one I said let u=p(x) and v=b(x)
T(u+v)=p(x)+b(x)=p(5)x2+b(5)x2=Tu+Tv
and T(ku)=(kp)(x)=kp(5)x2=kTu
So it is a linear transformation.

For the second I said T(u+v)=p(x)+b(x)=x2p(1/x)+x2b(1/x)=Tp(x)+Tb(x)
and T(ku)=x2kp(1/x)=k(x2p(1/x))=kTp(x)

So it is also a linear transformation.
For the third I said T(kp)(x)=xkp'(x)kp''(x)=k2xp'(x)p''(x) which does not equal KTp(x)

So it is not a linear transformation

Did I do these right?

Thanks for any help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
for the first one, what would happen if you took A= x^2 and B=-x^2?

You haven't used the given information that P2(x) is the space of polynomials of degree 2 or less. Every function in this space is of the form p(x) = ax2 + bx + c, for some constants a, b, and c.

So am I suppose to write it out as T(ax2 + bx + c+dx2+ex+f)=[25(a+d)+5(b+e)+(c+f)]x2?

I am a bit confused :confused:

Hm I did it that way and I still get that it is a linear transformation.

talolard said:
for the first one, what would happen if you took A= x^2 and B=-x^2?

Well either way I get zero.

You have some problems with your notation. For instance, you have u=p(x) and v=b(x), so [itex]T(u+v) = T[(p+b)(x)] \ne p(x)+b(x)[/itex].

Right I made that mistake, but I don`t think it affected the wrongness of my answer.

T(u+v)=T[p+b](x)=(p+b)(5)x2. Does this not equal p(5)x2+b(5)x2? I don't understand why not.

I think your conclusions are right.

Related to Linear Transformation Proofs: Check My Work and Correct Errors | Math Help

1. Can somebody check my proofs for errors?

Yes, it is always a good idea to have someone else review your proofs for any mistakes or errors that you may have missed. Another set of eyes can help catch any typos, incorrect calculations, or logical fallacies that may be present in your proofs.

2. How do I know if my proofs are correct?

One way to determine if your proofs are correct is to check them against known solutions or examples. You can also try explaining your proof to someone else and see if they understand it. If they do, it is likely that your proof is correct. Additionally, you can consult with a mentor or colleague who has expertise in the subject matter to verify the accuracy of your proofs.

3. Should I have someone else check my proofs before submitting them for publication?

Yes, it is highly recommended to have your proofs reviewed by someone else before submitting them for publication. This can help ensure that your proofs are accurate, well-supported, and free of errors. It also adds credibility to your work when it has been reviewed and approved by a colleague or expert in the field.

4. What should I do if my proofs are incorrect?

If you discover errors or mistakes in your proofs, it is important to carefully review your work and identify where the errors occurred. You can also seek help from a mentor or colleague to identify and correct any mistakes. It is also a good idea to revise and recheck your proofs before submitting them for publication or presenting them to others.

5. Are there any tools or resources available to help check my proofs?

Yes, there are various tools and resources available to help check your proofs. For example, there are proofreading software programs that can help detect spelling and grammar errors. Additionally, there are online forums and communities where you can ask for feedback and assistance with your proofs. You can also consult with a math or science tutor for assistance with proof checking.