Linear Transformation Isomorphism

In summary, the conversation discusses a linear transformation T(M) and the determination of whether it is an isomorphism. The equations for a linear transformation are provided and it is shown that T(M) is indeed a linear transformation. However, since the matrix in the transformation is not invertible, T(M) is not an isomorphism. The conversation ends with a question about the correctness of the solution.
zwingtip
I think I've solved this problem, but the examples in my textbook are not giving me any indication as to whether my reasoning is sound.

Homework Statement

Is the transformation

[tex]T(M) = M\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 1 & 2 \\ 3 & 6\end{array} \right][/tex]

from [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex]2x2 to [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex]2x2 linear? If it is, determine whether it is an isomorphism.

Homework Equations

T(f + g) = T(f) + T(g)
T (kf) = k T(f)
T-1(T(M)) = M

The Attempt at a Solution

T(M1+M2) = T(M1) + T(M2)

T(kM) = k T(M

Therefore, T(M) is a linear transformation.

[tex]\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 1 & 2 \\ 3 & 6\end{array} \right][/tex] is not invertible, so T is an isomorphism if Ker(T) = 0.

[tex]\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} m_1 & m_2 \\ m_3 & m_4\end{array} \right]\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 1 & 2 \\ 3 & 6\end{array} \right]=\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} m_1+3m_2 & 2m_1+6m_2 \\ m_3+3m_4 & 2m_3+6m_4\end{array} \right]=\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0\end{array} \right][/tex]

Then [tex]m_1 = -3m_2[/tex], [tex]m_3 = -3m_4[/tex] and

[tex]Ker(T)=\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} -3 & 1 \\ -3 & 1\end{array} \right]\neq \left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0\end{array} \right][/tex]

Therefore, the transformation T(M) is linear, but is not an isomorphism.

So I guess my question is, have I done this correctly? Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I believe you have done that correctly. T(0)=0 and T([-3,1],[-3,1])=0. Definitely not 1-1.

Awesome. Thanks!

zwingtip said:
I think I've solved this problem, but the examples in my textbook are not giving me any indication as to whether my reasoning is sound.

Homework Statement

Is the transformation

[tex]T(M) = M\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 1 & 2 \\ 3 & 6\end{array} \right][/tex]

from [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex]2x2 to [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex]2x2 linear? If it is, determine whether it is an isomorphism.

Homework Equations

T(f + g) = T(f) + T(g)
T (kf) = k T(f)
T-1(T(M)) = M

The Attempt at a Solution

T(M1+M2) = T(M1) + T(M2)

T(kM) = k T(M

Therefore, T(M) is a linear transformation.

[tex]\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 1 & 2 \\ 3 & 6\end{array} \right][/tex] is not invertible, so T is an isomorphism if Ker(T) = 0.
Because T is not invertible, it is not an isomorphism- every isomorphism is, by definition, invertible.

[tex]\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} m_1 & m_2 \\ m_3 & m_4\end{array} \right]\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 1 & 2 \\ 3 & 6\end{array} \right]=\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} m_1+3m_2 & 2m_1+6m_2 \\ m_3+3m_4 & 2m_3+6m_4\end{array} \right]=\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0\end{array} \right][/tex]

Then [tex]m_1 = -3m_2[/tex], [tex]m_3 = -3m_4[/tex] and

[tex]Ker(T)=\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} -3 & 1 \\ -3 & 1\end{array} \right]\neq \left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0\end{array} \right][/tex]

Therefore, the transformation T(M) is linear, but is not an isomorphism.

So I guess my question is, have I done this correctly? Thanks for any help.

Related to Linear Transformation Isomorphism

What is a linear transformation isomorphism?

A linear transformation isomorphism is a type of function that preserves the structure and properties of vector spaces. It is a one-to-one and onto mapping between vector spaces that also preserves addition and scalar multiplication. In simpler terms, it is a reversible linear transformation between two vector spaces.

How is a linear transformation different from an isomorphism?

A linear transformation is a function that maps elements from one vector space to another, while an isomorphism is a special type of linear transformation that is both one-to-one and onto. In other words, an isomorphism is a bijective linear transformation.

What are the necessary conditions for a linear transformation to be an isomorphism?

In order for a linear transformation to be an isomorphism, it must satisfy the following conditions:

• It must be one-to-one (injective), meaning that each element in the output space is mapped to by only one element in the input space.
  • It must be onto (surjective), meaning that every element in the output space has at least one element in the input space that maps to it.
  • It must preserve addition, meaning that the sum of two vectors in the input space is equal to the sum of their images in the output space.
  • It must preserve scalar multiplication, meaning that the scalar multiple of a vector in the input space is equal to the scalar multiple of its image in the output space.

How is an isomorphism useful in linear algebra?

Isomorphisms are useful in linear algebra because they allow us to compare and analyze different vector spaces in a consistent way. By preserving the structure and properties of vector spaces, isomorphisms make it easier to understand and manipulate abstract mathematical concepts.

Can a linear transformation be an isomorphism between vector spaces of different dimensions?

No, a linear transformation can only be an isomorphism between vector spaces of the same dimension. This is because the dimension of a vector space is a fundamental property that is preserved by isomorphisms. If two vector spaces have different dimensions, then they cannot be isomorphic to each other.