Linear System Solution Method and Validity

In summary, the linear system given can be solved using elimination to obtain the values of x, y, and z in terms of the arbitrary constants a, b, and c. Alternatively, Cramer's rule can be applied by expressing the coefficients as a determinant and solving for x, y, and z individually.
yango_17

Homework Statement

Find all solutions of the linear system
x + 2y + 3z = a
x + 3y + 8z = b
x + 2y + 2z = c
where a,b, and c are arbitrary constants.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using elimination, I managed to set the coefficients on the diagonal equal to 1, which then allowed me to solve for z, which was z = -c + a. Substituting z into the other equations to obtain x and y, I ended up with the following solution:
x= -6a - 2b + 13c
y = b + 4a -5c
z = a - c
I was wondering if my method of solving is valid, and if the answer I obtained seems reasonable. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
yango_17 said:

Homework Statement

Find all solutions of the linear system
x + 2y + 3z = a
x + 3y + 8z = b
x + 2y + 2z = c
where a,b, and c are arbitrary constants.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using elimination, I managed to set the coefficients on the diagonal equal to 1, which then allowed me to solve for z, which was z = -c + a. Substituting z into the other equations to obtain x and y, I ended up with the following solution:
x= -6a - 2b + 13c
y = b + 4a -5c
z = a - c
I was wondering if my method of solving is valid, and if the answer I obtained seems reasonable. Thanks.

Your z looks correct, but I get something different for y and x. Recheck your work, and I'll recheck mine.

I plugged my values back into the original system and the equalities don't match up. Now I'm just trying to find out where my mistake was.

yango_17 said:
I plugged my values back into the original system and the equalities don't match up. Now I'm just trying to find out where my mistake was.

I just redid it, your Z is correct, so start back from there. I'm assuming you just made a calculation error with y. Your a is positive (and smaller than it should be), while it should be negative. Same deal with your C.

Likes yango_17
Hey did you manage to solve this ...please help wit the proceedure

Faithp said:
Hey did you manage to solve this ...please help wit the proceedure
Write it as a matrix and do Gaussian elimination.

If you know how to evaluate determinants, you can solve this problem quite easily using Cramer's rule. Express the coefficients of x,y,z as a determinant:$$\Delta =\begin {vmatrix}
1&2&3 \\
1&3&8\\
1&2&2\\
\end {vmatrix}=-1\\
\Delta_x =
\begin {vmatrix}
a&2&3 \\
b&3&8\\
c&2&2\\
\end {vmatrix}=-10a+2b+7c\\
\Delta_y=
\begin {vmatrix}
1&a&3 \\
1&b&8\\
1&c&2\\
\end {vmatrix}=-6a+b+5c\\
\Delta_z=
\begin {vmatrix}
1&2&a \\
1&3&b\\
1&2&c\\
\end {vmatrix}=-a+c\\
$$Cramer's rule:
$$
x =\frac{\Delta_x}{\Delta}=10a-2b-7c\\
y=\frac{\Delta_y}{\Delta}=-6a+b+5c\\
z=\frac{\Delta_z}{\Delta}=a-c
$$

All unnecessarily effortful. You should be able to see how by the special features of this set of equations you can solve it like lightning!

Related to Linear System Solution Method and Validity

1. What is a linear system?

A linear system is a set of two or more linear equations with multiple variables that need to be solved simultaneously.

2. How do you solve a linear system?

There are several methods for solving a linear system, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to isolate a variable and find its value.

3. Can a linear system have more than one solution?

Yes, a linear system can have one unique solution, no solution, or infinitely many solutions. The number of solutions depends on the number of variables and the relationships between the equations.

4. Are there any real-world applications for solving linear systems?

Yes, linear systems are used in many fields, including engineering, economics, and physics. They can be used to model and solve real-world problems involving multiple variables and equations.

5. What is the importance of finding solutions to a linear system?

Finding solutions to a linear system allows us to solve complex problems and make informed decisions based on the relationships between variables. It also helps us understand and analyze real-world situations mathematically.