Linear system in polar coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for theory or resources on linear systems in polar coordinates. An example of such a system is given, with coefficients and derivatives being represented in polar form rather than Cartesian. The question also involves clarification on the function D and its operation in the given equation.
Jhenrique
Hellow! I have searched for some theory about linear system in polar coordinates, unfortunately, I not found anything... exist some theory, some book, anything about this topic for study? Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Give an example of what you mean by "linear system in polar coordinates". Are you talking about a set of simultaneous linear equations? - or a system of linear differential equations?

I think in something like:
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} a_{11} & a_{12}\\ a_{21} & a_{22}\\ \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} r\\ \theta\\ \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} b_{1}\\ b_{2}\\ \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
Where a_ij can be a simple coeficient or a polynomial of kind aD³+bD²+cD+d (where D is the derivative operator) and b_i a simple coeficient.

But using [r θ] instead of use [x y].

Jhenrique said:
Where a_ij can be a simple coeficient or a polynomial of kind aD³+bD²+cD+d (where D is the derivative operator) and b_i a simple coeficient.

In that equation, I don't understand what function D would operate upon? Do we have funtions [itex] r = r(t), \theta = \theta(t) [/itex] and [itex] D = \frac{d}{dt} [/itex] ?

Hello there! I can assure you that there is indeed a theory about linear systems in polar coordinates. This topic falls under the field of mathematics called coordinate geometry, which deals with the study of geometric figures and their properties using different coordinate systems, including polar coordinates.

There are various books and resources available that discuss this topic in detail. Some recommended books are "Coordinate Geometry" by Loney, "Analytic Geometry" by Love and Rainville, and "Calculus with Analytic Geometry" by Simmons. You can also find online lectures and tutorials on this subject.

In linear systems, we use polar coordinates to describe the relationship between two variables, such as distance and angle. This coordinate system is particularly useful in problems involving circular or rotational motion, as well as in engineering and physics applications.

I hope this information helps you in your study. Happy learning!

Related to Linear system in polar coordinates

1. What is a linear system in polar coordinates?

A linear system in polar coordinates is a mathematical representation of a system that involves two or more variables expressed in terms of polar coordinates, which use the distance from the origin and the angle from a reference axis to describe a point in a two-dimensional space.

2. How is a linear system in polar coordinates different from a linear system in Cartesian coordinates?

In a linear system in polar coordinates, the variables are expressed in terms of polar coordinates, while in a linear system in Cartesian coordinates, the variables are expressed in terms of Cartesian coordinates, which use the x and y values to describe a point in a two-dimensional space. Additionally, in polar coordinates, the equations often involve trigonometric functions, while in Cartesian coordinates, they involve only linear functions.

3. What are the advantages of using polar coordinates in a linear system?

Polar coordinates can be particularly useful in situations where the variables involve circular or rotational motion, as they simplify the mathematical representation of these types of movements. Additionally, polar coordinates can provide a more intuitive understanding of the relationships between variables in certain systems.

4. How do you solve a linear system in polar coordinates?

To solve a linear system in polar coordinates, you would typically use standard techniques for solving systems of equations, such as substitution or elimination. However, since polar coordinates involve trigonometric functions, you may also need to use trigonometric identities and formulas in your calculations.

5. What are some real-world applications of linear systems in polar coordinates?

Linear systems in polar coordinates have many practical applications, including in physics, engineering, and navigation. For example, they can be used to model the motion of a satellite in orbit around the Earth, determine the direction and speed of a moving object, or analyze the forces acting on a rotating object.