Linear statistical model: inference about interaction coefficients, two-factor

In summary, the conversation discusses how to test the hypothesis that a specific gene, g=25, has a connection with a certain disease. The full model used includes the interaction term (\alpha\beta)_{gt}. To test this hypothesis, the reduced model without the interaction term can be used as a comparison. However, when there are only two levels of the factor t, a different approach is needed. The null hypothesis to test is H_0 : (\alpha\beta)_{25,1}-(\alpha\beta)_{25,2}=0, but the appropriate test to use is unclear.
solar42

Homework Statement

I have measurements of some response of a gene, and two factors: the gene, g=1...G and whether the patient/subject has a certain disease, t=1,2.

the full model is
[tex]
y_{gtk}=\mu+\alpha_g+\beta_t +(\alpha\beta)_{gt}+\epsilon_{gtk}

[/tex]

I know that to see if genes have any connection at all with the disease, I just fit the reduced model without the [tex] (\alpha\beta)_{gt} [/tex] interaction and compare the two, but if I want to see if, say, gene number g=25 has anything to do with the disease... I know that the null hypothesis is [tex] H_0 : (\alpha\beta)_{25,t}, \textrm{ equal for all } t[/tex], but how do I test this hypothesis? I am confused at what to do when I can't drop the whole factor and compare.
I don't want to know how to do this in R or something, but how to do it by hand.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, there are only two levels t=1,2 , so we can basically test [tex] H_0 : (\alpha\beta)_{25,1}-(\alpha\beta)_{25,2}=0 [/tex], but how!?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have tried looking on the internet but all I can find is the ANOVA F test which doesn't seem to apply here. I feel like it should be simple, but I'm completely lost.

Related to Linear statistical model: inference about interaction coefficients, two-factor

1. What is a linear statistical model?

A linear statistical model is a mathematical representation of the relationship between one or more independent variables and a dependent variable. It assumes that the relationship between the variables can be described by a straight line.

2. What is inference about interaction coefficients?

Inference about interaction coefficients in a linear statistical model involves determining the significance and strength of the interaction between two independent variables on the dependent variable. It helps to understand how the relationship between the variables changes when they are considered together, rather than individually.

3. How is inference about interaction coefficients performed?

Inference about interaction coefficients is typically performed using statistical methods such as analysis of variance (ANOVA) or regression analysis. These methods involve analyzing the data and calculating the interaction effect between the two independent variables.

4. What is a two-factor linear statistical model?

A two-factor linear statistical model is a type of model that includes two independent variables, also known as factors, and a dependent variable. It is used to analyze the relationship between two factors and how they interact to affect the outcome of the dependent variable.

5. What can we learn from a two-factor linear statistical model?

A two-factor linear statistical model can provide insights into the relationship between two factors and their combined effect on the dependent variable. It can also help to identify which factor has a greater impact on the outcome and whether there is an interaction effect between the factors.