Linear programming/planning problem

• Thread starter dunga
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary, the conversation discusses a company's planning for the production of two products, X and Y, taking into account demand and production capacity. The company can also buy these products from a third party supplier. The conversation provides calculations for determining how much of each product should be produced and bought to maximize profit. There is a question about whether the calculations are correct and if the buying cost of X and Y should be included in the calculations. The conversation ends with a request for help.
dunga
Hello everyone,

I wonder if someone can help me on this.

In planning their production of two products, X and Y, a company has to take into account the demand for these products, as well as their internal production capacity. In addition they can (if necessary) buy in these products from a third party supplier.
For the forthcoming month demand is estimated to be 120 units for X and 150 units for Y. The company sells these products for $25 and $34 for X and Y respectively. The company can buy X from its third party supplier for $20 per unit, and Y for $24 per unit.
These products are produced on a single machine in the company. This machine costs $3 per hour to run when making X or Y and there are 175 working hours available in the forthcoming month on this machine for the production of X or Y. Producing one unit of X on the machine requires 4.5 hours, producing one unit of Y requires 6.5 hours. Technological constraints mean that the ratio of the number of units of Y produced on the machine to the number of units of X produced on the machine must be at least 1.3.
By formulating and solving an appropriate linear program determine (for the forthcoming month) how much of each product should be made and how much should be bought from the third party supplier.

I calculated it as follows:

profit for X produced is GBP 25 -($3 x 4.5)=11.5
Profit for Y produced is GBP 34-($3x6.5)=14.5

thus

maximise11.5x +14.5y

Constraints
1.3y-x=0
4.5x+6.5y=175

feasible region is at the vertex of the above curves

so

x=1.3y

4.5 (1.3y) + 6.5y =175
5.85y + 6.5y=175
12.35y=175
y=14.17 (to two decimal points)
x = 18.42 (to two decimal points)

so X bought = 120-14 = 106
Y bought = 150-18=132

but I am sure that I am wrong somewhere as I did not use buying cost of X and Y

I thought to calculate total profit of X as 11.5 (produced)+ 5 (bought)=16.5
Y 14.5 (produced) and 10 (bought)= 24.5

and rewrite

maximise
16.5x+24.5 y

but I am not sure...totally lost

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there anyone to help me with this, please !

Related to Linear programming/planning problem

1. What is linear programming?

Linear programming is a mathematical technique used to find the maximum or minimum value of a linear objective function, subject to a set of linear constraints. It involves optimizing a given objective function while satisfying a set of constraints, such as limited resources or budget.

2. What is a linear programming problem?

A linear programming problem is a mathematical model that represents a real-world situation where a set of linear constraints must be satisfied in order to optimize a given objective function. It involves identifying decision variables, defining the objective function, and setting up the constraints that limit the values of the decision variables.

3. What are the applications of linear programming?

Linear programming has a wide range of applications in various fields, including logistics, economics, finance, engineering, and business. It is commonly used to solve problems involving resource allocation, production planning, transportation, and scheduling.

4. What are the steps involved in solving a linear programming problem?

The steps involved in solving a linear programming problem include formulating the problem, graphing the constraints, finding the feasible region, determining the corner points, evaluating the objective function at each corner point, and selecting the optimal solution. This process is known as the simplex method and is commonly used to solve linear programming problems.

5. What are the limitations of linear programming?

While linear programming is a powerful tool for solving optimization problems, it has some limitations. It assumes that the relationships between variables and constraints are linear, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. It also does not consider qualitative factors and can only find a single optimal solution, which may not be the most practical or realistic solution. Additionally, as the number of decision variables and constraints increases, the complexity of the problem also increases, making it more difficult to solve using linear programming techniques.