Linear Motion Question: Object thrown vertically

In summary, an object is thrown upwards with an initial speed of a and an initial height of h. After t seconds, it hits the ground with a speed of b. The hang time, or total time in air, can be found using the equations of motion, as splitting the problem into two parts would not change the solution. The only variable that changes is the initial speed, which becomes 0.5a.
coffee38392

Homework Statement

An object is thrown upwards vertically with an initial speed of a and an initial height of h. It travels for t seconds until it hits the ground with a speed of b. If a was 0.5a, what would the hang time be in terms of t?

Homework Equations

xf=xo+vot+.5(-10)t^2
vf=vo+(-10)t

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to split up this problem into two parts: 1) object moving up 2) object moving down. But t is given as the time of the entire problem so I don't know how to split t up for the two parts.

Physics news on Phys.org
coffee38392 said:

Homework Statement

An object is thrown upwards vertically with an initial speed of a and an initial height of h. It travels for t seconds until it hits the ground with a speed of b. If a was 0.5a, what would the hang time be in terms of t?

Homework Equations

xf=xo+vot+.5(-10)t^2
vf=vo+(-10)t

I tried to split up this problem into two parts: 1) object moving up 2) object moving down. But t is given as the time of the entire problem so I don't know how to split t up for the two parts.
What do you mean on "If a was 0.5a"?

coffee38392 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

xf=xo+vot+.5(-10)t^2
vf=vo+(-10)t

If you can't split the problem up, then don't. Trust that equations of motion work for the whole trajectory.

I assume you mean that the initial speed changes to ##0.5a##?

Related to Linear Motion Question: Object thrown vertically

1. What is linear motion?

Linear motion is the movement of an object in a straight line with constant velocity.

2. What is the equation for linear motion?

The equation for linear motion is x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2, where x is the final position, x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration.

3. How is vertical motion different from horizontal motion?

Vertical motion refers to the movement of an object in the y-axis direction, while horizontal motion refers to the movement in the x-axis direction. In vertical motion, gravity plays a significant role in the acceleration of the object, while in horizontal motion, there is usually no acceleration unless there is a force acting on the object.

4. How does the initial velocity affect the motion of an object thrown vertically?

The initial velocity of an object thrown vertically affects its maximum height and time of flight. The greater the initial velocity, the higher the object will go and the longer it will take to reach its maximum height.

5. How does air resistance affect the motion of an object thrown vertically?

Air resistance or drag can affect the motion of an object thrown vertically by reducing its velocity and reducing its maximum height. This is due to the opposing force of air pushing against the object as it moves through the air.