Linear motion question -- Drops falling from a dripping faucet

In summary, the conversation was about calculating the distance between the first and second drop of a faucet, given that it drips at 5 drops per second and the first drop reaches 3 metres per second. One person suggested a simple calculation using velocity and time, while another person mentioned taking into account air friction and gravity. The conversation ends with a question about the calculation and a clarification about the timing of the second drop.
Russ Morgan
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
Hello, I am a new member looking for the answer to a question I recently had on an exam. I will not know if I got it right for up to 6 weeks so am curious.
Question is: A faucet drips water at 5 drops per second. calculate the distance in metres between the first and second drop after the first drop reaches 3 metres per second.I was a bit rushed so simply used v-u/a =t for time for first drop to reach 3 m/s
Then divided 5 drop per second to get 0.2. then subtracted the 0.2 from time in first equation, then used the new time in this formula s=(v+u/2)t.
I feel like this was too simple?

Thanks
Russ

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose we are assuming no air friction... An we'll take G=10m/s2.
The first drop will reach 3m/s in time (3m/s)/G = 0.3 seconds.
So I would calculate how far that drop fell in that time and how far the second drop fell in 0.2 seconds greater than that time.

What number did you get?

.Scott said:
So I would calculate how far that drop fell in that time and how far the second drop fell in 0.2 seconds greater than that time.
Did you mean less than that time? The second drop is in the air 0.2 s less than the first drop.

kuruman said:
Did you mean less than that time? The second drop is in the air 0.2 s less than the first drop.
I was trying to assist - not spell out the entire calculation.

Related to Linear motion question -- Drops falling from a dripping faucet

What is linear motion?

Linear motion refers to the movement of an object in a straight line, with a constant velocity and no change in direction.

Why do drops fall from a dripping faucet in a linear motion?

This is due to the force of gravity acting on the drops, causing them to accelerate downward in a straight line.

What factors affect the speed of the drops falling from a dripping faucet?

The speed of the drops is affected by the size of the drops, the height from which they are falling, and the viscosity of the liquid.

How does the height from which the drops fall affect their speed?

The higher the height, the longer the drops have to accelerate due to gravity, resulting in a higher speed when they reach the ground.

Is the motion of the drops affected by air resistance?

Yes, air resistance can affect the speed and trajectory of the drops, but for smaller drops and shorter heights, its impact may be negligible.