Linear motion of a car problem

In summary, a car with a constant acceleration of 3.20 m/s2 starts moving at the instant a traffic light turns green and overtakes a truck with a constant speed of 20.0 m/s. Using the position equations for the two objects, it can be determined that the car catches the truck after 12.5 seconds and travels a distance of 250 meters.
weskerq8

Homework Statement

A car is stopped at a red traffic light. At the instant the traffic light turns green, the car
starts to move forward with a constant acceleration of 3.20 m/s2. At the same time as the
light turns green, a truck traveling in the same direction with a constant speed of 20.0
m/s, overtakes and passes the car.

How far beyond its starting point does the car overtake the truck?

So, for the car we have:

- initial velocity = 0
- acceleration = 3.20

for the truck we got:

- final velocity = 20.0
- acceleration = 0

Homework Equations

x-x. = v. t + 1/2 a t^2
v = v. + a t
v^2 = v.^2 + 2 a (x-x.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no clue on how to deal with this as i don't have time or final velocity for the car, a lot of missing information here and i really don't know how to approach to the answer.

I just need help please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

The car has a constant acceleration, therefore no theoretical upper speed limit. To answer questions like these, you need to put the position equation for the two moving objects. One has a constant speed, and the other a constant acceleration.

Then, you can guess the rest, the car will catch the truck when the position of both are the same.

Cheers.

so according to what you said, my answer going to be 250 meters?

here is my work so you can check if it's right or wrong.

Car: X= v. t + 1/2 a t^2

X = 1.6 t^2

Truck: X = v. t + 1/2 a t^2

X=20.0 t

----

then, x = x

1.6 t^2 = 20.0 t
finally, t = 12.5 s

then i substitute t back to any of the previous equations to get X = 250 m

is that correct?

Thanks btw :)

That's what I find to.

It means that it takes the car 12.5sec to catch the truck. With this, you can also determine the car's speed at this time.

Cheers

Related to Linear motion of a car problem

1. What is linear motion?

Linear motion refers to the movement of an object along a straight line, where its position changes at a constant rate over time.

2. How is linear motion of a car calculated?

The linear motion of a car can be calculated using the equation: distance = speed x time. This equation takes into account the car's speed and the amount of time it has been moving for to determine the distance it has traveled.

3. What factors affect the linear motion of a car?

The linear motion of a car can be affected by factors such as the car's acceleration, speed, and weight. Other external factors like friction, air resistance, and road conditions can also impact the car's linear motion.

4. How does linear motion affect a car's fuel efficiency?

Linear motion can greatly affect a car's fuel efficiency. The faster a car is moving, the more fuel it will consume to maintain that speed. In addition, any external factors that impede the car's motion, such as friction or air resistance, will also decrease its fuel efficiency.

5. How can linear motion be improved for a car?

To improve the linear motion of a car, one can increase its acceleration and reduce any external factors that may impede its motion. This can be achieved through regular maintenance of the car's engine and tires, as well as choosing routes with smoother roads and less traffic. In addition, driving at a steady speed and avoiding sudden accelerations or decelerations can also improve the car's linear motion.