Linear Mappings: Solving for Dimension of Nullspace

• Thread starter DylanB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary, the conversation involves solving a problem involving linear mapping and finding the dimension of the nullspace. The person is stuck on part b but is advised to think about the dimension of the null space of a different linear map. Eventually, a solution is found for part b and the generalization is easily made.
DylanB

Homework Statement

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/743/93134049.png

Homework Equations

Just the standard linear mapping properties and theorums.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already solved part A by considering the transformation A: Rn -> R | A(x) = a.x where x is a vector in Rn, and finding the dimension of the nullspace.

I am stuck on where to begin the proof for part b, once I have b I don't think I will have a problem generalizing it for part c.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution to part (a) already contains the essence of a solution to part (b); just think about the dimension of the null space of a different linear map [tex]B[/tex], one that uses the existence of [tex]\vec{a}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{b}[/tex] both.

(If you need a further hint: given that you are supposed to find that [tex]\dim(S \cap T) = n - 2[/tex] in case [tex]\vec{a}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{b}[/tex] are linearly independent, what do you think the dimension of the range space of [tex]B[/tex] ought to be?)

ah, thank you, very good. I have a transformation B: Rn -> R2 that works nicely, and the generalization follows quite easily.

Related to Linear Mappings: Solving for Dimension of Nullspace

What is a linear mapping?

A linear mapping is a mathematical function that preserves the structure of a vector space. It maps one vector space to another, while preserving operations such as addition and scalar multiplication.

What is the difference between a linear mapping and a linear transformation?

Linear mapping and linear transformation are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference. A linear mapping refers to the function itself, while a linear transformation refers to the result of applying the function to a specific vector.

How do you represent a linear mapping?

A linear mapping can be represented by a matrix. The columns of the matrix represent the input vectors, and the result of the mapping is the linear combination of these input vectors.

What is the importance of linear mappings in mathematics?

Linear mappings have many important applications in mathematics, including in linear algebra, calculus, and differential equations. They are also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

What are some real world examples of linear mappings?

Some examples of linear mappings in the real world include scaling and rotating objects in computer graphics, predicting population growth using linear regression, and calculating electric current in circuit analysis.