Linear Map = Function of degree P-1

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of polynomial interpolation in proving that for every function f: Fp -> Fp, there exists a polynomial Q (depending on f) of degree at most p-1 such that f(x) = Q(x) for each x in Fp. The participants discuss the limitations of interpolation in a finite field and the misunderstandings about f being linear. The possibility of using polynomial interpolation in this scenario is also mentioned, but it is unclear if it has been attempted.
brru25
If p is prime, prove that for every function f: Fp -> Fp there exists a polynomial Q (depending on f) of degree at most p-1 such that f(x) = Q(x) for each x in Fp.

Physics news on Phys.org
Would polynomial interpolation work here?

I don't see how you could interpolate. There are only p possible values in [itex]F_p[/itex]. I notice you titled this "Linear Map= Function of degree P-1". Do you understand that there is nothing said here about f being linear?

Yea I assumed by accident it was linear. Yea I understand that there are only p values in Fp but I don't know how to make the connection to a polynomial. I mean I know a polynomial of degree p-1 has p coefficients but for some reason I can't connect the dots.

brru25 said:
Would polynomial interpolation work here?
Have you tried it? What happened?

HallsofIvy said:
I don't see how you could interpolate.
Polynomial interpolation works over any field... or is there something else you see that I don't?

Hurkyl said:
Polynomial interpolation works over any field... or is there something else you see that I don't?
Well, I think of "interpolation" as finding values between given values. And since this is a finite field, there is nothing "between" values.

Related to Linear Map = Function of degree P-1

1. What is a linear map?

A linear map is a mathematical function that preserves the structure of vector spaces. It is also known as a linear transformation or a linear operator.

2. What does "degree P-1" mean in the context of a linear map?

In the context of a linear map, "degree P-1" refers to the degree of the polynomial that represents the map. It represents the highest power of the independent variable in the polynomial.

3. How is a linear map different from a regular function?

A linear map is a type of function, but it has certain properties that make it different from a regular function. For example, a linear map preserves the operations of addition and scalar multiplication, while a regular function may not.

4. What is the importance of "degree P-1" in a linear map?

The degree of a linear map is important because it determines the dimension of the vector space that the map is operating on. It also affects the behavior and properties of the map, such as whether it is invertible or not.

5. How are linear maps used in scientific research?

Linear maps are used in a variety of scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to model and analyze relationships between variables. They are also used in data analysis and machine learning algorithms.