Linear Equations - Cramer's Rule

In summary, Cramer's Rule is a method for solving systems of linear equations using determinants. It is typically used for systems with two or three variables and involves arranging coefficients in a matrix, calculating determinants, and dividing them to find the solution. Its main advantage is that it eliminates the need to manipulate equations, but it is not efficient for large systems and can be prone to error. It can only be used for linear equations and not for non-linear equations with changing coefficients.
ZedCar

Homework Statement

Does the following set of linear equations have a unique solution?

(excluding any trivial solutions when x=y=z=0)

Do not attempt to formally solve the equations.

x+2y-4z=8
4x-6y+12z=19
-6x+3y-6z=-20

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My immediate thought would be to solve the equations using Cramers Rule. However, it states not to formally solve the equations. So I assume I'm not allowed to do this.

So what does the question mean me to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
ZedCar said:

Homework Statement

Does the following set of linear equations have a unique solution?

(excluding any trivial solutions when x=y=z=0)

Do not attempt to formally solve the equations.

x+2y-4z=8
4x-6y+12z=19
-6x+3y-6z=-20

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My immediate thought would be to solve the equations using Cramers Rule. However, it states not to formally solve the equations. So I assume I'm not allowed to do this.

So what does the question mean me to do?

Rewrite the system of three equations as a matrix equation in the form Ax = b. Here x represents the vector <x, y, z>T, and b represents the constant vector <8, 19, -20>T. What conditions on matrix A guarantee a unique solution to the equation?

By ^T do you mean transpose?

Just wanted to check before attempting to try and solve this.

If I take the matrix;

1, 2, -4
4, -6, 12
-6, 3, -6

The determinant = 0

Therefore it is not invertible.

Therefore this implies it has no unique solution.

Is this correct?

ZedCar said:
By ^T do you mean transpose?

Just wanted to check before attempting to try and solve this.
Yes.
ZedCar said:
If I take the matrix;

1, 2, -4
4, -6, 12
-6, 3, -6

The determinant = 0

Therefore it is not invertible.

Therefore this implies it has no unique solution.

Is this correct?
A better way is to say that it has no solution. A system of equations can have
1) a unique solution
2) multiple solutions (an infinite number of them)
3) no solutions

If you say "no unique solution" this might be interpreted as multiple solutions.

Okay. Thank you.

But isn't "no unique solution" what he wants to say? The question, after all, was "Does the following set of linear equations have a unique solution?" The fact that the determinant of this 3 by 3 set of equations is 0 means it maps R3 into a proper subspace of R3. If the right hand side doesn't happen to be in that subspace, there is no solution but if it does, an entire subspace will be mapped to it.

HallsofIvy said:
But isn't "no unique solution" what he wants to say? The question, after all, was "Does the following set of linear equations have a unique solution?" The fact that the determinant of this 3 by 3 set of equations is 0 means it maps R3 into a proper subspace of R3. If the right hand side doesn't happen to be in that subspace, there is no solution but if it does, an entire subspace will be mapped to it.
For this particular problem, there is no solution. I am distinguishing between "no unique solution" and "no solution" as the former term might be interpreted by some to mean that there are multiple solutions (i.e., not a unique solution). That was the distinction I was trying to make.

Related to Linear Equations - Cramer's Rule

What is Cramer's Rule?

Cramer's Rule is a method for solving a system of linear equations by using determinants. It was named after Swiss mathematician Gabriel Cramer.

When is Cramer's Rule used?

Cramer's Rule is typically used when solving systems of linear equations with two or three variables. It can also be used to find the solution of a single variable in a system of equations.

How does Cramer's Rule work?

To use Cramer's Rule, the coefficients of the variables in each equation must be arranged in a matrix. The determinant of this matrix is then calculated, along with the determinants of matrices formed by replacing the coefficients of one variable with the constants from the equations. The solution is then found by dividing each of these determinants by the main determinant.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using Cramer's Rule?

The main advantage of Cramer's Rule is that it provides a method for solving systems of linear equations without needing to manipulate the equations themselves. However, it is not efficient for large systems and can be prone to error due to the calculations involved in finding determinants.

Can Cramer's Rule be used for non-linear equations?

No, Cramer's Rule can only be used for systems of linear equations. It cannot be used for non-linear equations, as these do not have constant coefficients and therefore cannot be represented in a matrix form.