Linear Dependence and Span Question

In summary, the set {eX, e-x} in C∞(R) is linearly dependent and it does not span the given space. The coefficients in the linear combination must be numbers, not functions, and since the set only contains two functions, it cannot span the infinite-dimensional vector space of functions with infinitely continuous derivatives.
Nexttime35

Homework Statement

Is the following set linearly dependent or independent? And does this set span the given space?
{eX, e-x}[itex]\in[/itex]C(R)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, if it's linearly independent, then:
k1ex +k2e-x = 0 where k1,k2=0 and only 0. But if you let k1= -1/(e^x) and k2 = 1, then you also get 0, so this set is linearly dependent. I believe I am correct with this logic.

Now how do I go about checking whether the set is in the span of the vector space?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nexttime35 said:
But if you let k1= -1/(e^x) and k2 = 1, then you also get 0, so this set is linearly dependent. I believe I am correct with this logic.

The coefficients in the linear combination must be numbers, not functions of ##x##. You should approach the problem by making the assumption that for some numbers ##a,b##, the function ##f(x) = ae^{x}+be^{-x}## is zero for any value of ##x##. Then derive a contradiction, the function must be nonzero at some point.

The set ##C^{\infty}(\mathbb{R})## is infinite dimensional. You can't span it with only two functions.

Ahh, ok, that makes sense. Thank you for the help. I'll see what I can do!

So, deriving f(x)=ae^x+be^-x I get f'(x) = ae^x -be^-x, and f''(x) = ae^x+b^-x, so I'm back to the original function with the second derivative, and so forth. When proving linear dependence with functions, I understand that I need to show f(x) = 0 for any x, and where a,b≠0. Is that correct?

If ##a## and ##b## are nonzero numbers, one of the terms ##ae^{x}##, ##be^{-x}## grows without bound in absolute value and the other one approaches zero when ##x \rightarrow \infty##. From this it follows that the function ##f(x)## must be nonzero for some ##x##. You just have to express this in a more exact way to make it a real mathematical proof.

Gotcha. I follow. Thanks for your help, hilbert2.

One more question: is C(R) represents the vector space of functions with infinitely continuous derivatives, then why wouldn't the above functions in that set span that vector space? Don't those functions have infinitely continuous derivatives?

Nexttime35 said:
One more question: is C(R) represents the vector space of functions with infinitely continuous derivatives, then why wouldn't the above functions in that set span that vector space? Don't those functions have infinitely continuous derivatives?

Saying that a set of functions {##f_{1},f_{2},f_{3},\dots##} spans the space ##A## means that any function in ##A## can be represented as a linear combination of functions ##f_{i}##. This is clearly not the case here. You need a set of infinitely many functions to span ##C^{\infty}(\mathbb{R})##.

Related to Linear Dependence and Span Question

1. What is linear dependence?

Linear dependence refers to the relationship between two or more vectors where one vector can be expressed as a linear combination of the others. In other words, one vector is a multiple of another or a combination of several others.

2. How is linear dependence determined?

Linear dependence can be determined by using the concept of span. If a vector can be written as a linear combination of other vectors in a given set, then it is linearly dependent on those vectors. This means that the vector lies within the span of the set of vectors.

3. What is the span of a set of vectors?

The span of a set of vectors is the set of all possible linear combinations of those vectors. In other words, it is the set of all vectors that can be obtained by multiplying each vector in the set by a scalar and adding them together.

4. How do you know if a set of vectors spans a particular space?

To determine if a set of vectors spans a particular space, you can check if any vector in that space can be written as a linear combination of the given set of vectors. If it can, then the set of vectors spans that space.

5. Can a set of linearly dependent vectors span a higher-dimensional space?

No, a set of linearly dependent vectors can only span a lower-dimensional space. This is because if one vector in the set can be expressed as a linear combination of the others, then it is redundant and does not add any new information to the span of the set.