Linear Combinations in 2-space

In summary, the problem asks for nine linear combinations of α and β. The student attempted to find these combinations by filling in α and β with the numbers listed for c and d. However, they were not sure where the nine combinations were coming from and were stumped by the hint.
Destroxia

Homework Statement

In the xy-plane mark all nine of these linear combinations:

## α \lbrack 2, 1 \rbrack + β \lbrack 0, 1 \rbrack## with c = 0, 1, 2 and d = 0, 1, 2

Homework Equations

ANSWER:

The nine combinations will lie on a lattice. If we took all whole numbers c and d, the lattice would
lie over the whole plane.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think my biggest problem in this, is not actually knowing what the question is asking.

I've tried plotting the linear combinations of me filling in α and β with the numbers listed for c & d.

1. ## 0 \lbrack 2, 1 \rbrack + 0\lbrack 0, 1 \rbrack ## yields, ## \lbrack 0, 0 \rbrack ##

2. ## 1 \lbrack 2, 1 \rbrack + 1\lbrack 0, 1 \rbrack ## yields, ## \lbrack 2, 2 \rbrack ##

3. ## 2 \lbrack 2, 1 \rbrack + 2\lbrack 0, 1 \rbrack ## yields, ## \lbrack 4, 4 \rbrack ##

I'm not sure where they are getting 9 linear combinations, but I'm pretty sure I'm misunderstanding the instructions of the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: ##3 \times 3 = 9##

vela said:
Hint: ##3 \times 3 = 9##

Okay, so the only thing I could think of using that hint would be that I can do other permutations of the c = 0, 1, 2 and d = 0, 1, 2?

So maybe do 1 and 0, or 2 and 1, etc?

RyanTAsher said:

Homework Statement

In the xy-plane mark all nine of these linear combinations:

## α \lbrack 2, 1 \rbrack + β \lbrack 0, 1 \rbrack## with c = 0, 1, 2 and d = 0, 1, 2
Seems like it shoud be "with α = 0, 1, and 2, and β = 0, 1, and 2"

BTW, it's much simpler to just use the [ and ] characters than typing lbrack and rbrack in LaTeX.
RyanTAsher said:

Homework Equations

ANSWER:

The nine combinations will lie on a lattice. If we took all whole numbers c and d, the lattice would
lie over the whole plane.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think my biggest problem in this, is not actually knowing what the question is asking.

I've tried plotting the linear combinations of me filling in α and β with the numbers listed for c & d.

1. ## 0 \lbrack 2, 1 \rbrack + 0\lbrack 0, 1 \rbrack ## yields, ## \lbrack 0, 0 \rbrack ##

2. ## 1 \lbrack 2, 1 \rbrack + 1\lbrack 0, 1 \rbrack ## yields, ## \lbrack 2, 2 \rbrack ##

3. ## 2 \lbrack 2, 1 \rbrack + 2\lbrack 0, 1 \rbrack ## yields, ## \lbrack 4, 4 \rbrack ##

I'm not sure where they are getting 9 linear combinations, but I'm pretty sure I'm misunderstanding the instructions of the problem.

RyanTAsher said:
Okay, so the only thing I could think of using that hint would be that I can do other permutations of the c = 0, 1, 2 and d = 0, 1, 2?

So maybe do 1 and 0, or 2 and 1, etc?
Each choice of c (really ##\alpha##) can be paired with one of three possible d (really ##\beta##) values. How many combinations of the two does that make?

Mark44 said:
Each choice of c (really ##\alpha##) can be paired with one of three possible d (really ##\beta##) values. How many combinations of the two does that make?

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. I didn't know if the points could be interchanged, but I guess there isn't really any reason why they couldn't be.

Related to Linear Combinations in 2-space

1. What is a linear combination?

A linear combination is a mathematical operation in which two or more quantities are added together, each multiplied by a constant factor. In 2-space, this means combining two vectors by multiplying each of their components by a constant and then adding them together to form a new vector.

2. How do you find the coordinates of a linear combination in 2-space?

To find the coordinates of a linear combination in 2-space, you will need to have two vectors and two constants. Multiply each component of the vectors by their respective constants, and then add the resulting values to get the coordinates of the new vector.

3. Why are linear combinations important in 2-space?

Linear combinations in 2-space are important because they allow us to combine and manipulate vectors to represent a variety of physical and mathematical phenomena. They also provide a useful tool for solving systems of linear equations and understanding the relationships between different variables.

4. Can a linear combination in 2-space result in a vector outside of the 2-dimensional plane?

No, a linear combination in 2-space will always result in a vector that lies within the 2-dimensional plane. This is because the two vectors being combined only have two components, and thus their linear combination can only result in a vector with two components.

5. How are linear combinations related to linear independence in 2-space?

Linear combinations and linear independence are closely related in 2-space. If two vectors are linearly independent, their linear combination can span the entire 2-dimensional plane. On the other hand, if two vectors are linearly dependent, their linear combination will be a multiple of one of the vectors and will only span a line in the 2-dimensional plane.