Linear attenuation coefficient for gamma ray attenuation

In summary, the conversation discusses using data for count rate and thickness of various materials to calculate the linear attenuation coefficient. It is suggested to plot the natural log of count rate against thickness for each material in order to find the ratio of counting rate with and without an absorber, which can then be used to determine μ.
adamworth

Homework Statement

I have data for the count rate (of gamma rays) against the thickness of various materials (Al, Pb, Fe etc...).

I want to work out the linear attenuation coefficient. Can I do this by plotting the natural log of count rate against thickness? I don't have values for "intensity".

Homework Equations

I = I0e-ux

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
adamworth said:
Can I do this by plotting the natural log of count rate against thickness?
Yes. Be sure to make separate plots for each material. You don't need "Intensity" to figure out μ. Just plot the ratio C/C0 that is the ratio of counting rate at a given thickness to the counting rate without any absorber.

Likes adamworth

Related to Linear attenuation coefficient for gamma ray attenuation

1. What is the definition of linear attenuation coefficient for gamma ray attenuation?

The linear attenuation coefficient for gamma ray attenuation is a measure of how much a material reduces the intensity of a gamma ray beam as it passes through it. It is a property of the material and is dependent on the energy of the gamma rays and the density of the material.

2. How is the linear attenuation coefficient calculated?

The linear attenuation coefficient is calculated by taking the natural logarithm of the ratio of the initial intensity of the gamma ray beam to the final intensity after passing through the material. It is then divided by the thickness of the material and multiplied by -1.

3. What are the units of linear attenuation coefficient?

The units of linear attenuation coefficient are typically expressed in inverse length, such as cm-1 or m-1. This represents the decrease in intensity per unit distance traveled through the material.

4. How does the linear attenuation coefficient vary for different materials?

The linear attenuation coefficient varies greatly for different materials, as it is dependent on the density and composition of the material. Materials with higher atomic numbers and densities tend to have higher linear attenuation coefficients.

5. How does the linear attenuation coefficient change with increasing gamma ray energy?

The linear attenuation coefficient generally decreases with increasing gamma ray energy. This is because higher energy gamma rays are less likely to interact with the atoms in the material, resulting in less attenuation. However, this relationship is not linear and can vary depending on the material and the energy range of the gamma rays.