Linear Algebra/Tensor Algebra: Symmetry of a (1,1) tensor.

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that a symmetric matrix with respect to every basis on a differentiable manifold can be expressed as a multiple of the identity matrix. The suggested solution involves using orthogonal eigenvectors and constructing a new basis from the original diagonal basis. However, the person asking for help is unsure if this is the correct approach and is open to other ideas.
B L

Homework Statement

Let M be a differentiable manifold, [itex]p \in M[/itex].
Suppose [itex] A \in T_{1,p}^1(M)[/itex] is symmetric with respect to its indices (i.e. [itex]A^i_j = A^j_i[/itex]) with respect to every basis.
Show that [itex] A^i_j = \lambda \delta^i_j[/itex], where [itex]\lambda \in \mathbb{R}[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried various ways of using the change of basis formula to arrive at the desired result, but I can't make it work. I imagine I need to use something else that I'm not thinking of.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know that a symmetric real matrix has a complete set of orthogonal eigenvectors? That means A is diagonal in some basis. Now can you show if A is diagonal in some basis with unequal diagonal elements, then it is not symmetric in some basis? Construct that basis from the original diagonal basis. It would be quite enough to do this for a 2x2 matrix.

I don't think we're supposed to use eigenvectors, but I'll give that a shot, thanks!

Any other ideas? I'm way too stumped given how seemingly simple this thing is (especially compared to the rest of the assignment).

Related to Linear Algebra/Tensor Algebra: Symmetry of a (1,1) tensor.

1. What is a (1,1) tensor in linear algebra?

A (1,1) tensor is a mathematical object that represents a linear transformation between two vector spaces. It has one covariant index and one contravariant index, indicating that it can act on both covariant and contravariant vectors.

2. How is symmetry defined for a (1,1) tensor?

A (1,1) tensor is said to be symmetric if it remains unchanged under interchange of its indices. In other words, if the tensor is Tij, then it is symmetric if Tij = Tji.

3. What are the properties of a symmetric (1,1) tensor?

Some key properties of a symmetric (1,1) tensor include:

• It has real eigenvalues and orthogonal eigenvectors.
  • It can be diagonalized by a suitable change of basis.
  • It is invariant under rotations and reflections.
  • It satisfies the condition Tij = Tji.

4. How is the symmetry of a (1,1) tensor useful in linear algebra?

The symmetry of a (1,1) tensor allows us to simplify complex computations involving the tensor. It also helps us identify important properties of the tensor, such as its eigenvalues and eigenvectors. In addition, symmetric tensors arise in many applications, such as in mechanics and physics, making them important objects to study in linear algebra.

5. Can a (1,1) tensor be both symmetric and antisymmetric?

No, a (1,1) tensor cannot be both symmetric and antisymmetric. If a tensor is symmetric, it means that it remains unchanged under index interchange, while an antisymmetric tensor changes sign under index interchange. Therefore, a (1,1) tensor can only be either symmetric or antisymmetric, but not both.