Linear algebra question solving for a b c

In summary, the conversation is about a question where the speaker obtained a matrix and is trying to find values for a, b, and c in order for the linear system to have an infinite number of solutions. The other person questions the operations used and mentions that setting a=b=c=0 is one possible solution.
sozener1
Member warned about not using the homework template
for this question i got up to obtaining [1 0 1 a-c; 0 1 1 c; 0 0 0 b-a+c] matrix

im supposed to find a b and c so that the linear system has an infinitely many solutions

I just can't work this out!

Attachments

• pijlkm.PNG
    pijlkm.PNG
    3.5 KB · Views: 445
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
sozener1 said:
for this question i got up to obtaining [1 0 1 a-c; 0 1 1 c; 0 0 0 b-a+c] matrix

im supposed to find a b and c so that the linear system has an infinitely many solutions

I just can't work this out!
I got different results for the first two rows. What operations did you do to get your values?

My answer is the same as yours in the third row. What does that row represent as an equation?

It looks like you are trying to find a relationship between a, b, and c. Just checking a=b=c=0 shows one of many sets of values which provide infinite solutions.

Related to Linear algebra question solving for a b c

1. What is the purpose of solving for a, b, and c in linear algebra?

The variables a, b, and c in linear algebra represent coefficients in a system of linear equations. By solving for these variables, we can find the exact solution to the system, which allows us to understand the relationships between the variables and make predictions about their values.

2. How do you solve for a, b, and c in linear algebra?

To solve for a, b, and c in linear algebra, we use various techniques such as substitution, elimination, and matrix operations. These methods involve manipulating the equations to isolate the variables and ultimately find their values.

3. Can you solve for a, b, and c in linear algebra without using matrices?

Yes, it is possible to solve for a, b, and c in linear algebra without using matrices. As mentioned before, techniques such as substitution and elimination can be used to solve systems of linear equations without the use of matrices.

4. What are the applications of solving for a, b, and c in linear algebra?

Solving for a, b, and c in linear algebra has many applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and computer science. It can be used to model and analyze real-world systems, make predictions, and optimize processes.

5. Is there a specific order in which we should solve for a, b, and c in linear algebra?

There is no specific order in which we should solve for a, b, and c in linear algebra. However, it is important to follow a logical and systematic approach to ensure accuracy and efficiency in the solution process.