Linear algebra problem involving image spaces

In summary, it is shown that for a given mxn matrix A and an nxn invertible matrix V, the image of A (imA) is equal to the image of AV (imAV). This is proven by showing that imAV is a subset of imA, and then proving that imA is also a subset of imAV. Therefore, imA = imAV.
Sandbox.WeC

Homework Statement

A is a mxn. V is nxn and invertible. Show that imA=imAV2. The attempt at a solution
Up until now I haven't done much in the way of proving things. In this case is it enough to show that they are each closed under addition and scalar multiplication? Would that mean that imA is in imAV and vice versa, meaning they are equal?

Thanks for any help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since A is "m by n", A maps Rn to Rm. Since V is "n by n", V maps Rn to Rn[/b] so that AV maps Rn to Rm.

Suppose w is in Im(A). Then there exist v in Rn such that Av= w. Since V is invertible, there exist u in Rn such that Vu= v. Then (AV)u= A(Vu)= A(v)= w. That is Im(AV) is a subset of Im(V). To prove that Im(AV)= Im(A), you must prove that Im(A) is a subset of Im(AV). To do that start "suppose w is in Im(AV). I will leave it to you.

I see where you are going with that. Does that mean that everything I did was wrong? I thought that if I proved they were subspaces of each other that would mean they are equal

Related to Linear algebra problem involving image spaces

1. What is a linear algebra problem involving image spaces?

A linear algebra problem involving image spaces is a mathematical problem that deals with the transformation of vectors from one space to another. It involves using a linear transformation to map the vectors from a given space, known as the domain, to a new space, known as the codomain. The image space is the set of all possible outputs of the transformation.

2. What is the importance of studying linear algebra and image spaces?

Linear algebra and image spaces play a crucial role in various fields such as computer graphics, data analysis, and machine learning. It provides a powerful mathematical framework for understanding and solving complex problems involving vector spaces and transformations. Moreover, it is the foundation for many advanced mathematical concepts and techniques.

3. How do you determine the dimension of an image space?

The dimension of the image space is equal to the number of linearly independent columns in the transformation matrix. It represents the number of basis vectors needed to span the image space. For example, if a 3x3 matrix has only 2 linearly independent columns, then the dimension of the image space is 2.

4. What is the difference between the image space and the null space?

The image space is the set of all possible outputs of a linear transformation, while the null space is the set of all vectors that are mapped to the zero vector by the transformation. In other words, the image space contains all the vectors that are transformed, while the null space contains all the vectors that are not transformed.

5. How do you solve a linear algebra problem involving image spaces?

To solve a linear algebra problem involving image spaces, you first need to understand the given transformation and its properties. Then, you can use various techniques such as finding the transformation matrix, determining the image space dimension, and solving for specific vectors or equations. It is also important to understand the concept of linear independence and the properties of vector spaces to solve these problems effectively.