Linear algebra nxn matrix, n=14

In summary, the determinants of matrices A and B can be computed using cofactor expansion and the equation det(A) = (aij)(-1^(i+j))det(aij). For n = 14, the determinant of matrix A is -1*14! due to the pattern observed in the matrix and the alternating sign in the equation. The determinant of matrix B can be similarly calculated.
concon

Homework Statement

Use cofactor expansion to compute determinants of nxn matrices
A= (aij)=
[0 0 ... 0 1
0 0 ... 2 0
0 (n-1) 0 ... 0
n 0 0 ... 0]

B=(bij)=
[ 0 1 0 ... 0
0 0 2 ... 0
0 0 0 ... (n-1)
n 0 0 ... 0]

Homework Equations

det(A) = (aij)(-1^(i+j))det(aij)

The Attempt at a Solution

I though A was diagonal matrix so I tried (n)(n-1)2*1=364
Then I realized to include ... so I thought det(A) = 0
Both were wrong.
Not sure how to solve either det(A) or det(B) when n=14
Does than mean its just n=14 or is it 14x14 matrix?

Physics news on Phys.org
concon said:
I though A was diagonal matrix so I tried (n)(n-1)2*1=364
You are on the right track, but you forgot one small thing. Try n = 2.
Not sure how to solve either det(A) or det(B) when n=14
Does than mean its just n=14 or is it 14x14 matrix?
How can it be the one without also being the other?

haruspex said:
You are on the right track, but you forgot one small thing. Try n = 2.

How can it be the one without also being the other?

1. if n= 2 then det(A) = 0
2. Well if that is true then det(A) while n=14 should be zero, but I already tried that and the website for my homework says that is wrong.

concon said:
1. if n= 2 then det(A) = 0
No it isn't. What does A look like with n=2? How do you calculate the det of a 2x2 matrix?

haruspex said:
No it isn't. What does A look like with n=2? How do you calculate the det of a 2x2 matrix?

Well if n=2 (meaning a 2x2 matrix)
A=
[ 0 0
0 0]
and det(A) = ad-bc= 0*0-0*0=0 is this correct? Can you please explain how to solve with n=14?

concon said:
Well if n=2 (meaning a 2x2 matrix)
A=
[ 0 0
0 0]
and det(A) = ad-bc= 0*0-0*0=0 is this correct? Can you please explain how to solve with n=14?
No, you're misinterpreting the form of the matrix. For every n, the top row ends with a 1; for every n > 1, the second row ends with 2 0; the next, for n > 2, with 3 0 0; etc.

haruspex said:
No, you're misinterpreting the form of the matrix. For every n, the top row ends with a 1; for every n > 1, the second row ends with 2 0; the next, for n > 2, with 3 0 0; etc.
So det(A) when n=14 is 14 factorial? I saw that pattern now and it looks like a diagonal matrix so det(A) should be product of the main diagonal entries.

Or, if n=2 then det is is 2. If n=3 then det is 3*2. And if n=4 then det is 4*3*2?
So if n=14, then det is 14!

concon said:
So det(A) when n=14 is 14 factorial? I saw that pattern now and it looks like a diagonal matrix so det(A) should be product of the main diagonal entries.

Or, if n=2 then det is is 2. If n=3 then det is 3*2. And if n=4 then det is 4*3*2?
So if n=14, then det is 14!

No, if n=2 det(A)=(-2). If n=3 det(A) is -3*2=(-6). If n=4 det(A) is +24. You have to explain the sign as well as the magnitude.

Dick said:
No, if n=2 det(A)=(-2). If n=3 det(A) is -3*2=(-6). If n=4 det(A) is +24. You have to explain the sign as well as the magnitude.

so if n is 14, then det(A) = -1 (14!) ?

concon said:

What do *you* think? Of course, all answers must have some logical basis; what is yours?

concon said:

Why don't you try to use your "relevant equation" to answer that question?

Ray Vickson said:
What do *you* think? Of course, all answers must have some logical basis; what is yours?
I think that the answer is -1*14!.
Logical basis is the pattern that I can see from small n, that pattern goes 2*3*4*...*n with an alternating sign. Since n=14 occurs at row 14 column 1, sign is negative since -1^(14+1) is -1.
Can you just give me a straight response, is this correct or not? I have only one attempt left for this problem and do not want to waste it. thanks

Related to Linear algebra nxn matrix, n=14

1. What is a linear algebra nxn matrix?

A linear algebra nxn matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or variables arranged in rows and columns. The size of the matrix is specified by the number of rows (n) and columns (n), hence the notation nxn. This type of matrix is commonly used in linear algebra to represent systems of linear equations and perform operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication.

2. What is the difference between a square matrix and an nxn matrix?

A square matrix has the same number of rows and columns, while an nxn matrix has n rows and n columns. This means that a square matrix is a special case of an nxn matrix where n is equal to the number of rows or columns.

3. How do you determine the dimensions of an nxn matrix?

The dimensions of an nxn matrix are determined by the number of rows and columns, which is specified by the value of n. For example, an nxn matrix with n=14 would have 14 rows and 14 columns, making it a 14x14 matrix.

4. What are some common operations performed on an nxn matrix?

Some common operations performed on an nxn matrix include addition, subtraction, and multiplication. Other operations include finding the determinant, inverse, and eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix.

5. How is an nxn matrix used in real-world applications?

An nxn matrix is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as computer graphics, engineering, economics, and physics. It is particularly useful in solving systems of linear equations, which arise in many fields of study. For example, an nxn matrix can be used to model and solve problems in transportation planning, chemical reactions, and population dynamics.